"We live in a big world, with many small worlds in it"

Can You See Me? A Book about Feeling Small, by Gökçe İrten.

I admit, I knew nothing about this book and opened it expecting something with more narrative. I was surprised to find a quirky and creative non-fiction book about perspective, packed with scientific facts about creatures big and small, and some hilariously adorable illustrations.

Can You See Me? shares the idea that we may feel small to ourselves, but seem giant, strong, or even confident to others. It uses examples like a flea on an orangutan to illustrate how one animal's fur may seem like an entire forest to another tiny creature.

While it's not a book specifically about empathy, I think any stories that talk about perspective are a useful tool in helping kids care about others. I don't know that I've ever seen İrten's illustrations before but I really like how cute and colourful they are. The page with bees and ladybugs going sightseeing is SO. CUTE. (and teachers, would make a great writing prompt!!) and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more of her work. She is based in Istanbul, Turkey.

One nitpicky thing, is that I wish that with the font chosen, the text was bigger. (Ha, I'm sure it seems giant to a flea... ☺) It's a bit small in that style, and I'd imagine for kids learning to read or tired parents reading at bedtime, it could be a bit trickier.

Overall though, a fun surprise in my library haul! Recommended ages 4-8, published by @kidscanpress 🇨🇦


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more