Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Help for Holiday Grumpies

Hi read,

I admit it. I put off any and all holiday preparations until November 29 this year. Hey, at least I still have Santa shark wrapping paper left over from 2020.

When I was a kid, I absolutely loved the holidays. My family used to drive around looking at lights every Friday night. I loved putting up holiday decorations and Christmas morning was a time of fun, love and warm fuzzies.

Now that I have kids, I realize how much effort went into making all of those holiday memories. It's enough to make anyone overwhelmed.

But the thing is, I don't want to feel frazzled and stressed during the holidays. More than anything, my goal is to feel the peace and joy I felt as a child during this time of year.

Here's my process for getting things done during the holidays while making time for what really matters to me:

1) Cultivate the feelings you want to experience during the holiday season. (For me it's peace and love.) This is the touchstone that guides your planning.

2) Identify the must-dos: those holiday traditions that really matter to you or your family. Schedule them. Don't pick too many. These are the top 3 - 5 activities.

3) Get organized for gift giving and delegate if needed. Make gifting easy if you can (experience gifts and gift cards are great). Get help on things that don't have to be done by you (buying gift-wrapping supplies, putting up Christmas lights, addressing cards, etc.)

4) Plan for downtime. This is where the magic happens during the holidays. Give yourself time and space for an impromptu walk around the neighborhood looking at lights and playing holiday music. Go where the spririt takes you.

This article contains a deeper dive on each of these steps, if you would like more guidance.

Do you have a specific challenge this holiday season? Just want to vent? I love your emails!

Happy Holidays to you and may December bring you peace and joy.

Beth @ Parent Lightly



Unsubscribe | 113 Cherry St #92768, Seattle, WA 98104-2205

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Want My Kids To Have An Old-Fashioned Halloween

Let's do it! Sep. 23, 2024 throwback I Want My Kids To Have An Old-Fashioned Halloween Great news, Halloween fans, your time is ...