Do you ever think about the longevity of journaling and wonder what the point even is? Does jotting down your thoughts, frustrations, accomplishments, and dreams really make a difference in how you live your life? Will you ever go back through your old entries to help process certain times in your life?

I see the point of journaling as its ability to add value to your growth. You will never be able to see your transformation if you don't have it written down somewhere. You'll never know how far you've come. You think you'll remember it, but as time passes, you'll start to forget pieces of the puzzle that made you who you are today.

One of the things I'm guilty of is moving on and blocking out how hard it was to get through certain times. It's in the past, I made it through, how bad was it really? Besides, other people have it way hard than I do, right? Why dwell on it. I don't allow myself to think about how hard I worked to get through the issue. I just know it happened in the past and this is now. I survived!

But in reality, what good is that really doing for me? How is it helping me that I'm not even recognizing what I went through, what I learned, and how I got through it? I am not the same person I was 10 years ago because of all the things that happened to me in between those big moments. Why wouldn't I want to remember it?

I have a quick solution. Highlight one line a day in every journal entry that you want to stand out. It can be anything, good or bad. Maybe it's a description of growth that you're proud of, maybe it's a setback that you can later realize you pushed through, maybe it's a mini accomplishment that helped you get to your end goal. When looking back, what simple thing do you want to remember about this time in your life that you just wrote about?

With this one line a day concept, years from now you'll be able to grab an old journal and quickly sift through the pages. Your eyes will be drawn to the important stuff. You'll be able to see the highlights, and your progress, without reliving every single piece of it.

View it as the Cliffs Notes of your life, if you will. All the important moments that lead to you being the person you are today.

Try it. Just one line a day, and see how it changes the way you document, and remember, the moments of your life.