The cabbage and Hungarian wax peppers have been fermenting in salt for a little over three weeks now. One pound chopped vegetables to one tablespoon canning salt, held under the juice by a glass weight and vacuum sealed. I discovered that vacuum sealing the jar with a Foodsaver mason jar attachment really helps cut down the mold issues for ferments!

The sauerkraut is some of the best I've ever had. A friend from Hungary brought back some hot kraut from Budapest years ago, and I've been trying to recreate it ever since.

I started some other peppers fermenting today. I grew red and orange jalapeƱos this year; so pretty. The other jar is a conglomeration of sweet peppers: baby bells, Romanian sweet, and "Tam" (tame!) jalapeƱos. The juice from the finished ferments can be used on top of new ones as a sort of inoculant, to kickstart it.

These peppers will be ready on October 1st.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more