A couple of months ago I moved from a CrossFit box to a more conventional gym. Many things haven't changed that much...I still do many of the same movements. I still sweat there most days. I see friends and connect with them there. But there are definite changes as well. More options for machines and movements (but figuring out how to "work in" on a machine is new.) Coming and going without a set class time requires a different kind of discipline. And then there's the music.

Music is huge for me when I workout. At CrossFit the music was generally ok. I found it funny that different coaches chose different music styles at times. The class I attended had many "older" athletes and attentive coaches seemed to work with that in their music choices.

These days the music isn't as loud. My new gym has several spots where the music is far away. I sometimes end up chatting instead of singing or dancing along when I'm with my gym gals.

Then there is the rare time I am alone at the gym. AirPods make their appearance. I've noticed that pretty much everyone who is flying solo at the gym has headphones in of some kind.

So here's a new game I like to play...I wonder what they are listening to? This is basically an exercise in stereotypes, I guess. Bro sesh? Jock rock? Girl power tunes? I laugh as I try to size people and their musical tastes up. Once in a while I'll see people dance a little, shimmy the shoulders or shuffle the feet. Hm. A guy shadow boxing between sets made me wonder if he was pumping up to the theme from Rocky. Then to amuse myself I'll imagine someone benching with huge biceps listening to opera or country or even theme songs from little kids shows.

At times I wonder if people are wondering what I'm listening to. Would any of them guess?

As I reflect, it's one of the different things and sometimes hard things about the new setup, when people are all in their own little worlds, listening to their own thing, on their own paths. I like having my own tunes on solo runs or bike rides but at the gym I like having shared experiences and music along with it. I'm thankful this solo song time doesn't happen too often.