I often think that the most helpful thing for staying financially afloat is not cutting a few dollars here and there - not clipping some coupons, or saving on electricity, or squeezing out the last bit of toothpaste - but what I call the art of affordable living; an attitude that helps countless people with moderate to low incomes live well and stay out of debt.

It's genuinely preferring a nature walk to a shopping mall; homemade gifts to the latest order from Amazon; restored old furniture to an IKEA assembly; a quiet get-together on the beach with a few friends to a glitzy event. It's the satisfaction of being able to step back and say, "I don't really need that much."

It has always amazed me, during our house moves, how well the family has coped with 90% of the clothes and utensils packed away for weeks. 10% of our belongings were quite enough to keep us dressed, fed, and entertained. There were moments, while I unpacked, when I wished I could just chuck some boxes away unopened (don't worry, I never did that. I love my books, yarn, and fluffy pajamas too much).

At this time, I also feel that the habits of simplicity are serving me and my family amazingly well. Lockdowns, restrictions, green passes, and the rest of the paraphernalia the past two years have brought are a lot easier to take when your happiness doesn't hinge on eating out, going to live shows, or staying in hotels.

I'll just finish with a great quote from here:

"Living a simple life means there is no need to chase the extra buck. You don't need the cash to buy the bigger living space to put all your stuff in that you would need more money to buy. Instead, you see that you can live on less and get rid of stuff to create more space."


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more