My fall class on leadership at UC Berkeley is coming to a close. When I started teaching this class I have to admit I was nervous. Previously I had taught marketing at the UC Berkeley IDC which is for International Students. My background is in corporate marketing and working for technology start-ups. In 2016 I started my C Corp Ocean SF. I feel blessed to be able to teach this class as I learn so much from my students about leadership and the world in general.

Each of my classes has a different personality. They are comprised of working adults from all over the world and all walks of life. The class has been through so many cultural changes in our society sparked by the pandemic and the intense social movements of our time. There is so much to talk about in terms of leadership at this time that it is an honor to be doing this work.

Much of what I feel is necessary in terms of leading in this environment is an ability to be globally sensitive. When I began this class there were no guidelines on how to sidestep the land mines involved in working with people of such diverse backgrounds, ages, and race. In a world colored by both macro and microaggression in terms of discrimination, how do we come together, work together and more importantly lead?

Racism, sexism, ageism are a part of our world and dealing with these issues and how they impact our teams and work environments is of the utmost importance. Creating safe and productive work environments and growing together is our goal.

The answer is simple; as many great concepts are. We must be aware of and sensitive to each other. In our diverse and changing world, we need to listen to understand each other, and from there be sensitive in how we respond.

One of my favorite sayings is;

It doesn't matter how rich you are, how educated you are, or how accomplished you are. How you treat others tells all.

Being kind, respecting other people, listening to understand, and being sensitive goes a long way in establishing meaningful relationships both personally and professionally.

In our current Covid-19 environment this is more important than ever.

Love and blessings.