Photo by Olya Kobruseva on Pexels.com

I mentioned previously that I've been reading Charlie Jane Anders' craft book Never Say You Can't Survive that dropped recently. I'm finding her insight refreshingly accessible and compassionate. She believes in her characters, and she especially believes in their feelings and how those feelings drive their decisions and move the plot forward.

My expertise is mostly in memoir and poetry, but I like to read about how all kinds of authors make a book happen, whether they're writing about a mother with unrecognized mental illness (hello!), a murder mystery set in Paris during the Belle Epoch, or mushroom-shaped aliens from the planet Gorb who just want to be friends with humans--or so it seems.

Continue reading "Four Questions to Keep Asking About Your Characters by Charlie Jane Anders"

Comment        Like