The last quarter of the year I find myself yearning to spend more time in the kitchen. It may be because I crave those comfort foods this time of year as the temperatures drop and the days grow shorter. Or possibly because the warmth of the oven is comforting rather than suffocating. Whatever it is the boys and I find ourselves huddled around the kitchen counters to bake and cook and measure and taste. Little hands do the pouring and the mixing and Mom teaches her boys that a good cook always cleans as they go. This week I had some sour cream I wanted to use up so the boys and I got to work on one of my favorites. Gluten Free Coffee Cake. It's not a traditional coffee cake, I remember a co-worker giving me the recipe years and years ago and it was always my favorite treat to make. I've since adjusted it to suit my husband's gluten intolerance. Honestly, I don't think you can even tell that this one is gluten free. My boys also love this and we love gathering around the table in the afternoon for "tea time" and a sweet treat + some milk...or in my case coffee 😉 I think you are going to love it too!

Gluten Free Coffee Cake

  • 2 cups of gluten free flour [Bob's Red Mill is my go to]
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp water

Mix your dry ingredients and in a separate bowl cream your butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients.

Sugar Topping

  • 6 ounces chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar

Pour half of your batter into a greased and floured 9x13 pan. Sprinkle half of the sugar + chocolate chip topping on top and then pour the rest of the batter and top with the rest of the sugar + chocolate chip mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool for at least an hour before serving.

Enjoy and thanks for stopping by today!

Blessings,

Bree


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more