For the past, I'm going to say 7-8 years our family has been following a minimal Christmas gift giving plan. We follow the something they want, need, wear read plan. It has worked well for us and our family. It keeps the gifts minimal and more intentional/thoughtful in my opinion. Today I'm sharing a few ideas for each category. Some of these things we actually have/have gotten our boys over the years. Some things more geared towards girls we haven't had, but I've heard good things and others are things my boys have had their eyes on. I hope this guide offers you some new ideas, especially if you're feeling stumped this year.

Young Boys and Girls

Something They Want

Kids Sewing Kit - This little kit is darling. More geared towards girls, but it looks like they have some options more for boys if you'd like.

Marble Genius - Both my boys love this and whenever my nieces come to visit they flock to it as well.

LEGO - My boys get at least one new set a year from family. They love Legos and I think it's just one of those toys that never gets old. I even like putting them together.

Drawing Light Board

Calico Critters

Board Games and Puzzles - We are definitely lovers of board games and card games and we especially love puzzles during the long cold winters

My boys always love a good stuffed animal or even those plastic animals or wooden ones [a little pricey] This year we ordered a golden lab stuffed dog from bass pro shop online that my little guy has had his eye on but we couldn't find it in the store after the one time we saw him. Then I found the cutest dog bed... HERE - of course I can't find the exact one, but this one is similar.

He already has the chocolate lab that he named Chocolate and we are going to put the dog in the dog bed to surprise him Christmas morning ...I'm so excited because he loves his stuffed doggies. He already said if he ever got the golden one he'd name him Pumpkin...he is so sweet I could cry.

Realistic Baby Dolls - My nieces love baby dolls and my sister in law will buy preemie baby clothes for them to fit their babies whenever she sees the outfits on clearance. They fit the babies perfectly and the clothes are just better quality then the cheapy baby clothes that are normally in the toy section.

Kinetic Sand - My younger son absolutely loves Kinetic Sand, 10/10 would def. recommend, haha

Magnets - Another much loved toy.

Something They Need

Needs are always the hard one for me, but normally if I am getting jammies or something for them to wear like a fun t shirt with a character they love I'll get something more seasonal like winter gear for this category. Last year they got sleds which was both fun and sort of "needed" I would also put something like a subscription in this category, one we love is the Kiwi Crates. I consider it a "need" because of it's educational value. Maybe if you have an event or membership you could use it for this category, like a family trip to The Ark Encounter, or a big zoo or show you wanted to take them too. Something that thinks a little outside the box and not just another toy if that makes sense.

Something To Wear

Hanna Anderson PJs

Holy Pals PJs

Hearth and Hand PJs from Target

I've also gotten PJs from Children's Place

I usually get my boys PJs, socks, underwear, and/or any winter gear they may need like coats, boots, socks, gloves etc.

Something To Read

Some of my boys' favorite books are

Peter Rabbit, Dr Seuss Books, Berenstain Bears, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Series, Curious George Series, Little Blue Truck's Christmas, Construction Site Merry and Bright, Cranberry Christmas, Little House Series, Brambly Hedge

Older Boys and Girls

Something They Want

STEM Solar Robot - This guy looks super cute. I already have everything I want for Christmas, but this is on my list for their birthday.

Camera - Not sure about your kiddos, but mine love talking pictures and videos of their toys, adventures, art projects, puppet shows etc.

3D Puzzles - I think these are so neat!

LEGO Technic - My mother in law got this for my boys this year for Christmas

Faux Bow - This looks super cool and fun. I kind of want one for myself, haha

Art Set - This one looks great and maybe an easel

Loom Kit or sewing kit, maybe even a sewing machine or serger if she enjoys making clothes and things like that. Craft supplies things like that.

Something They Need

Again I try to use this category for something educational, but still fun or an experience of some kind. Maybe Rock climbing lessons or like I mentioned above a play or musical, ballet, something that interests them that is more than just "stuff" Maybe a microscope or telescope some type of STEM or Science Kit.

Something to Wear

I do the same with my bigger boy as I do with my younger

Something to Read

I actually have a whole blog post dedicated to our favorite books and resources I'll link that HERE

Here are a few I can think of off hand that would make a great gift for boys and girls.

Secret of the Hidden Scroll Series

Chronicles of Narnia Series

Dear America Book Series - The old ones that i read as a young girl

Light Keepers Series for boys/girls

Anne of Green Gables Series

Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit

The Green Ember Series


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more