It's Hispanic Heritage Month and I am HERE FOR IT. 馃嚫馃嚮馃嚫馃嚮馃嚫馃嚮

Hispanic Heritage Month, which is celebrated from September 15 to October 15, begins with the day that several countries, many of them Central American, declared their independence from Spain. El Salvador, the country I proudly claim heritage to(despite the many problems it has, I am proud nonetheless), is one of those countries that declared independence on September 15, 1821.

This year, I have taken greater care to truly celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with my sweet halfsies by exposing them to more of our Hispanic culture: the music, the food, the language. While they know "stop" and "I SAID NO" in Spanish, I felt it was time to help them become more conversant in the language 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

It's been so great for us! I have made more Latin dishes this past month than I think I've ever made. My family loved my saz贸n chicken so much that there were no leftovers. Little Miss A, who normally only asks for more of starches(rice, mashed potatoes, grits), asked for THIRDS of saz贸n chicken. The boys have learned several colors in Spanish well enough that K actually accidentally asked me for help finding a marr贸n crayon versus just asking for brown! Not gonna lie, I may have actually choked up a bit 馃ゲ

In accordance with Hispanic Heritage Month, I also felt it was time to reclaim the Spanish spelling of my nickname, Gaby. I added the extra B in middle school when a classmate made fun of my name. It took me TWENTY YEARS to shed the shame and use my given, true nickname, but hey, better late than never!

We have eaten albondigas, saz贸n chicken(pollo al saz贸n), semita de pi帽a made soy- and dairy-free, we've spoken more Spanish in the past month more casually than ever, and I've become my more authentic self by reclaiming Gaby over Gabby. This month has been good.

I think we'll make this a year-round thing.

¡Buen provecho, mis amigos!


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more