Intended Audience: Anyone who is curious about gut and digestive health

It seems like everywhere I turn, most are burned out with all of the happenings of the pandemic. Here's another protein broth recipe to help warm you up from the inside out during the winter blues. I drink bone broth for my gut/digestive health and collagen building, but I'm totally feeling these self-made, warm bowls of cozy hugs!!

Clean Up: Minimal (clean up = supplies)
Supplies Needed:

  • Instant Pot - I use a 3 qt one
  • Standard 7 quart soup pot with lid
  • Soup spoon
  • bowls
  • utensils

Ingredients (this makes 6 servings, approximately):

  • 2-3 lbs of beef bones (i.e. neck bones, knuckes, oxtail)
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 large onion cut into chunks
  • 4 cloves of ginger – minced
  • 2 sprigs of rosemary
  • 1 carrot cut into chunks
  • 1 handful of dried cranberries or raisins
  • 1 clump of rock sugar
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup of red wine
  • Water up to the Instant Pot max line

Step 1:
CLEAN THE BONES! Bring out your standard soup pot. Boil a pot of water and slowly drop the bones in. Boil for about 15 minutes and drain. Put the bones aside.

Next Steps:
In your Instant Pot, saute the onion chunks and garlic with a bit of oil (I used olive oil). The charring bring out such a nice flavor in the broth.

Turn off "Saute" mode. Add the rest of your ingredients: cleaned beef bones, rosemary, carrot, cranberries/raisins, rock sugar, cinnamon, red wine, and water to the max line (I used my 3 qt Instant Pot).

Close your Instant Pot up.

Set Instant Pot on Soup/Broth mode for 60 minutes and let it natural release for an additional 30-45 minutes.

Next Next Steps:
Once the broth is cooled to room temperature, I transfer everything back into my standard soup pot, close the lid, and pop it in the fridge for 3-4 hours (or overnight). The cold temperature will harden up this nice layer of fat that you can easily skim and dump.

After you skim and dump the fat, the broth will be jiggly like jello.....ALL THAT GORGEOUS COLLAGEN!! I literally just leave the pot on the stove top and bring to a rolling boil every morning. You can start drinking that liquid gold a mug at a time.

ADJUSTMENTS:
* I enjoy my bone broth without any added salt - feel free to add salt and pepper to your liking.

* Instead of draining the broth, I just pick out the rosemary and then re-boil everything once a day. I find that this re-boiling method makes the broth taste better day after day and it gets all the good nutrients into the broth. If you enjoy a clean broth, drain after broth is cooled to room temperature.

* My go-to for bone broth is beef and lamb bones. I follow the blood type diet chart and found that lamb and beef are most beneficial for my blood type. Lamb bones can also be substituted in the above recipe. Recipe will need to be adjusted if using poultry bones.

ae4c20f2d095414a8fc23076d884e5f6

This post is ad-supported