Hi hello! It's a new day and today I want to build on my "Prepared Homemaker" series. We've already talked about the importance of keeping a well stocked pantry. Not a doom and gloom I'm worried about all.the.things. pantry, but a thoughtful "I am prepared just in case" kind of pantry. I also shared an old post for a basic no knead dutch oven bread. You can read that post HERE. Today I want to share a very easy to make sandwich loaf. This bread recipe is one I've used before and turns out well every single time. I haven't used it much in the last couple of years because my husband is gluten free and I got in the habit of just buying bread rather than making it. However, I'm really working at getting back into the habit of baking more from scratch. I already cook our suppers from scratch and most all our other meals, but I'm just longing to work more with my hands. To enjoy the simple little things in life, like kneading and baking bread, crocheting my own blankets, sewing more and learning how to make more of our everyday things with my own hands. I've always been a crafter and a maker at heart and y'all know I'm a lover of homemaking and I genuinely enjoy serving my family, but I want to grow in my homemaking abilities and to use my love of making things to serve my family in a meaningful way.

Shall we bake some bread? I love starting this first thing in the morning by candlelight, when everyone is still asleep. Coffee isn't necessary but it definitely helps! It'll take some time for your bread to rise so you won't have fresh bread until early afternoon. Just in time for lunch 😉

Ingredients

  • 4.5 cups Flour - I use Unbleached Organic All Purpose King Arthur Flour - You may need 5 cups depending on where you live. 4.5 usually does the trick for me.
  • 2 cups of warm water
  • 1 tbsp of active dry yeast (this is about 2 packets for me)
  • 1/4 cup of sugar or honey (I use organic sugar)
  • 2 tsp of salt
  • 2 tbsp of oil

Prepare Your Dough

  • In a stand mixer - You can use a bowl. The mixer is just quicker. Pour your 2 cups of warm water, a pinch of sugar and your yeast. Allow it to sit for about 5-10 minutes. You're looking for it to foam. If it doesn't your yeast is bad. Once you see a foam you can start adding in your flour.
  • Add a cup of flour at a time with your mixer on low to combine. add in your oil, sugar, and salt
  • Add another cup of flour. You're looking for your dough to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Add a half a cup at a time of more flour if needed. You shouldn't need more than 5ish cups. You want it to be smooth, stretchy and sticky but not too sticky.
  • Let your dough mix on medium in the stand mixer for about 4-5 minutes to knead your dough. You can do this by hand for 5-8 minutes if you're not using a mixer.
  • Grease a large bowl and put your dough in the bowl. It needs to go through it's first rise. It should double in size within an hour - an hour and a half. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel in a warm place
  • Grease your loaf pans. This recipe makes two loaves. I use 9x5 glass pans. I like to add parchment paper to the bottom of my pan.
  • Punch your dough to remove the air bubbles, split it in half and shape it into logs. Lay your dough in each of your pans and cover again for a second rise. About 45 minutes.

Baking Your Bread

  • Set your oven to 350 degrees.
  • Once your dough has risen at least to the top of your pan - or about 1 inch above, bake for 30ish minutes or until golden brown on the top.
  • Remove your loaves to cool for at least 10 minutes. They should sound hollow when you tap them.
  • I like to brush mine with melted butter when I remove it from the oven.
  • Cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Store in plastic or a tubberware container to keep it fresh. It'll keep for 2-3 days on the counter in a bag/plastic or in the fridge for 5 ish days. You can also wrap this bread up well and freeze for a couple months.

Thanks for stopping by today, friends!

Blessings,

Bree


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more