A few days ago I found out my younger cousin had withdrawn from her middle school due to bullying. At first I couldn't really hear what they were saying about why. All the fears I had that my cousin would be bullied as I was was rushing through me like an unstoppable wave. When that wave finally settled enough to hear why a part of me felt like it was breaking. My cousin is very young for her age and that has been a struggle for her to connect with her peers and make friends. Everyone knows middle school is rough for most people but she shouldn't of had to deal with this: ostracization.

Someone was recording her in school as she was talking to others. They had brought up BTS. The video that got sent around the school was of her saying she loved BTS but didn't like that Koreans ate dogs. Once the video spread no one would talk to her. Even the few who had talked to her before told her to her face they couldn't talk to her anymore. The school refused to take action because they didn't want to upset any foreign students who are big money for the school. Everyone decided a twelve year old child was hands off.

The worst part of it all? She has anxiety and tends to copy adults and anyone around her. That tidbit of information was probably something she heard when we were all talking. I'm an East Asian Studies major. My first few years I had to explain modern Asia to my family who knew nothing about the actual China, Japan and Korea. She probably heard a conversation where someone brought up that some people have eaten dogs in China and Korea. At the time it probably was me correcting my family on a stereotype and misinformation. Yet, what she probably remembered from an old conversation was 'Koreans eat dogs'. In her mind, her older cousin who had lived and traveled these places confirmed that it was a possibility. So she did what any nervous kid would do and over talk to be liked and fit in. A horrible 'fun' fact gone wrong.

My cousin loves BTS, she doesn't actually think all Koreans eat dogs and I'm pretty sure is part of the BTS Army for Jimin. What she said was a stupid thing but what could of been a nice memory or a good opportunity for a lesson is now a horrible memory for her to carry.

I want to ask the BTS Army and other young students to think of something like this as a learning lesson so that memory she now has to carry means something. Don't record people without permission and send videos through a school. No matter what the reason is that's always going to be bullying. Don't look at an opportunity to drag down the weird kid even more because you can. Don't make learning moments painful memories. You guys live in an amazingly open world where foreign singers can introduce their cultures and everyone can share in the experience. You guys can talk about it and say what you like or don't like. Don't ruin the positivity of the good you guys are growing up with with stunts like this.

BTS from an outside perspective seems to be great role models. I'm always hearing really good things. So if they are your role models, I'm pretty sure you guys are amazing and good people to. Just don't forget that when you are supporting your idols.

And if BTS happens to see this my cousin is still a fan so you are clearly doing something right. Thanks for being great role models for your young fans. You've helped her a lot with growing up. Maybe though, if possible, can Jimin say she is not a horrible child? It would help...