I know what you are thinking. I must be one of the only millennials left who does not have a smartphone. When I found out my pay-as-you-go, "text and call only" phone from 2012 was not going to be compatible with my provider anymore, I considered finally getting a smartphone. After thinking it over, here is why I decided to hold out a little longer...

  1. Time: I have a few social media accounts. They already consume more than enough of my time without bringing them along everywhere I go! I know some people remove social media apps from their phone or set time limits, but not having the option to access them on my phone removes the temptation entirely and prevents "cheating" on my resolution.
  2. Mental Health: There is a strong link between time spent on social media and an increased risk for anxiety, depression, isolation, self-harm, etc. Social media sites and apps are designed to be addictive to make more money. The hyper connectivity of the combination of social media and a smartphone can be very damaging. Not having access through my phone sets definite boundaries to the time I am on social media, helping me have healthier mental habits.
  3. Relationships: While I do believe technology can be helpful in maintaining friendships (especially long distance), I have also seen smartphones damage relationships and community. It can damage existing relationships and prevent them from growing deeper because of phone distractions or negative online interactions. It also prevents new ones from starting. Where people once interacted with strangers for directions, help finding something in a store, or recommendations for places to eat or things to do, now they check their phones without ever having to speak to a person.
  4. Sense of Direction: I used to think I had a bad sense of direction, but now people often look to me for directions when GPS fails. Because I've never had GPS in the car, I have to plan out my route before I leave the house, sometimes printing directions or just noting a couple of turns if it is a new location locally. I have a pretty decent map in my head if I do accidentally miss a turn because I've looked at a map, not just responded to step by step commands. Just don't ask me to drive between D.C. and Baltimore. Those roads are a labyrinth no one but a local can navigate!
  5. Creativity and Observation: I believe I see and enjoy more beauty by not having a smartphone. As a creative person who loves to write, not being on the internet all the time gives me opportunities to sit and reflect in a waiting room or a drive-through. I have opportunities to "people watch" before a church service starts. I notice and enjoy small beauties in nature on my way to work.

For all these reasons, I decided to do a little more searching for a not-smartphone. I was thrilled to discover that there are companies that make phones for teens and children with no internet access! I chose to go with Gabb Wireless. Their phone looks like a smartphone (less likely to draw stares than my old phone), is able to handle group and picture messages (which sent my old phone into nervous breakdowns), and does have a few convenient features in common with smartphones such as a good camera, ability to play music, a calendar, etc. If you are interested in this for yourself or your child, let me know and I can give you my referral code!

In fairness, I should consider the cons of being a hold out. There is only one that I can think of.

  1. Inconvenience: In a society that is increasingly dependent on smart phones, people without a smartphone are sometimes left out in the cold. For example, I was trying to attend a local event that was requesting payment through an app only useable on a mobile device. After explaining the situation, the hosts agreed to allow me to pay in cash, but it was a higher amount because I couldn't pay in advance. I've also asked employees a question in stores to be told to look it up on my phone. In terms of directions, the only times I've gotten seriously lost were both in the D.C./Baltimore area. Fortunately, some very kind people helped me get back on track.

For me, the benefits outweigh the inconvenience. Why do you have a smartphone? Or why do you choose to hold out?

Photo by ROBIN WORRALL on Unsplash


This post is ad-supported