Creating a believable fictional world is just as important as creating your characters and plot. I personally love to sit down and map out my make-believe town so that my characters can walk through it consistently. Part of this process, though, is creating names for every one of the businesses your character encounters! I don't think any small town is complete with a bookstore, whether it's new and vibrant, old and dusty, or somewhere in between.

Image by JayMantri from Pixabay

Here are some bookstore names I've come up with during the process. I can't guarantee you that any of these haven't been used before, but they're a lot of fun!

  • The Bookmark
  • Between the Lines
  • Booktopia
  • Flip the Page
  • Volumes of Books
  • Alexandria's Books (extra points if you get this one)
  • It's About Tome
  • Gutenberg's Dream (more extra points on this one)
  • An Open Book
  • By the Book (or Buy the Book!)
  • A Book by its Cover
  • Read the Room
  • Cover to Cover

As you can tell, I like store names that are a little punny. What would you add to the list? I'd love to know!

If you're looking for more posts like this, be sure to check out my Writers' Resources page!

* * *

Ashley O'Melia is an independent author and freelancer from Southern Illinois.  She holds her Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing and English from Southern New Hampshire University.  Her books include The Wanderer's Guide to Dragon Keeping and The Graveside DetectiveHer short stories have been published in The Penmen Review, Siren's Call, and Subcutaneous.  Ashley's freelance work has spanned numerous genres for clients around the world.  You can find her on Facebook and Amazon.


This post is ad-supported