What a year it's been, a year of lockdowns and new varients to the already crazy Covid 19 - but we're not going to focus on that, instead we are going to dive into the best novels of 2021.

In a year with so much crazy I was able to read a tonne of great books (and caught up on a lot of writers I've been meaning to devour) and so below are my top ten novels that I read in 2021 - if anything the pandemic has been kind to my reading and I wanted to share these fabulous books with you, so you, in turn, might be blessed by them the way I have!

So, on with the show.

1. Ghoul N' The Cape

Josh Malerman

58875496. sy475

I've previously referred to Malerman as a chameleon, his books never the same, he adapts, he shakes things up, his books are canvasses each one a different time and place and genre – he's not content in becoming stagnant, always searching for the next story or the next piece of art to create, and what we get with Ghoul N' The Cape is his Sistine Chapel, his magnum opus – a literary opera that can't be easily defined, because it's a living breathing thing, a book that has a message, a book that is a new gospel, one that proves the power in words and storytelling, one that is transformative and revolutionary.

2. Almost Ruth

Tyler Jones

57695927. sy475

'Tyler Jones is unmistakably one of the brightest lights in indie horror right now, read his words and be transformed. Almost Ruth broke something in me and I fear I'll never be whole again. With prose as sharp as a scalpel Jones cuts us wide open and pours salt into the wounds.'

A stunning new work from the author of Criterium - you need this one in your life!

3. Boys In The Valley

Philip Fracassi

58628260. sx318

Religious horror is one of my favourite subgenres of horror – and this book 'Boys In The Valley' has it in bucket loads; so much of the stuff that I was drenched in it, think Stephen King's Carrie on prom night, that was me by the stories conclusion – absolutely caked in the stuff, and I bloody loved it.

4. Razorblade Tears

S.A. Cosby

54860585. sy475

'I've seen the future of crime writing and it's name is S.A Cosby.'

Unflinching, heartfelt, raw, urgent, honest and masterfully written.

5. NOS4A2

Joe Hill

15729539

** spoiler alert ** Loved this book - my first Joe Hill outing in some time, I need to visit more of his work this coming year!

Perfect for reading during December made the feels even more eerie.

6. Pearl

Josh Malerman

Pearl by Josh Malerman: 9780593237830 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

'Pearl' by Josh Malerman is a masterpiece, that's right, I said it. Formally known as 'On This, The Day of The Pig' and given a limited edition release, 'Pearl' is a rebranding of sorts, it is now publishing through Del Rey Books and I for one am thrilled by this news, as it means a whole host of other unsuspecting individuals will be able to grab a copy and enjoy one of the finest horror yarns I've have the pleasure of reading this year.

7. The Ruin Of Delicate Things

Beverley Lee

50690140. sy475

The Ruin of Delicate Things is a Gothic romp of a novel that combines the beauty of past masters into a meandering tale of grief, guilt, tragedy, retribution and healing of past wrongs.

Also what a title - it perfectly sums up this book, and what it does to you if you fall under its bewitching spell.

8. Blacktop Wasteland

S.A. Cosby

51182571

Blacktop Wasteland is sensational and you need to discover it, a full on ride into the self destructive nature of man, a man who's got nothing else to loose is a very dangerous thing indeed. Masterful and raw... check it out!

9. Anger is an Acid

Michael Clark

53356020. sy475

One of the most enjoyable and unputdownable series I've ever read, Clark has made me a fan of his work and I'll be reading him for the rest of my life! It's a five star series from me, every book has been awarded that accolade because they're bloody brilliant and if you want to start Clark has also release all of the books in an omnibus... so check it out!

10. Inspection

Josh Malerman

41058632. sy475

A thrilling read and a fabulous addition to the canon of work Malerman has been and continues to release. This is one of my favourites – 'Inspection' is the 'Lord of the Flies' (by William Golding) – for a new generation and a book not to be missed!

Reviewed by Ross Jeffery

pencil


Unlike many other Arts & Entertainment Magazines, STORGY is not Arts Council funded or subsidised by external grants or contributions. The content we provide takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce, and relies on the talented authors we publish and the dedication of a devoted team of staff writers. If you enjoy reading our Magazine, help to secure our future and enable us to continue publishing the words of our writers. Please make a donation or subscribe to STORGY Magazine with a monthly fee of your choice. Your support, as always, continues to inspire.

PayPal-Donate-Button

Sign up to our mailing list and never miss a new short story.