A few weeks ago, I shared about altering 1950's and 1960's dresses. After these successful projects, I wanted to try making something new. As a birthday gift, my mom gave me a stack of vintage fabrics. The fun prints were just begging to be made into something that suited their time period. It had been a long time since I'd made clothing from a pattern so I warmed up with two very easy dresses. I planned to use them as night gowns so I didn't have to be too precise about measurements or worry about finishing details. A pretty vintage bed sheet was the perfect material for these practice projects.

When I was ready to try a wear-in-public dress, I chose this Jiffy shift pattern (Simplicity 4978) with three main pattern pieces.

According to the measurements on the back of the pattern, I needed to make it a size bigger. Fortunately, the style was loose fitting. I still decided to make a mock up before cutting the fashion fabric to make sure I increased the proportions correctly. I used an old bed sheet for the mock up, just following simple construction (not putting in any details). When I knew the proportions were correct, I carefully cut my fashion fabric. Luckily, I had most of the sewing notions on hand: hook and eye, seam binding, etc. I purchased a zipper. Thanks to my mom, for helping me put the zipper in since neither of us had a zipper foot!

I had a crisis midsummer when I realized that all of my shorts and capris were either very out of style, didn't fit me, or both! The next project was a pair of high waisted shorts. Sadly, the first pattern I wanted to use was missing pattern pieces. I ended up going with this 1959 pattern (McCall's 5301). I had just enough of this beautiful sea foam green fabric. I put in a pocket on one side and this time I was able to manage the hidden side zipper on my own. I love how the color matches my great grandmother's sewing machine.

My first choice of pattern is the one on the right.

I was able to wear these a few times before the weather turned cold. I have a few winter weather projects in the works now. I will share again soon!


This post is ad-supported