Thursday, September 8, 2022

Overcoming Planning Resistance

Hi read,

Let's get to this right away: If you absolutely love planning and think it's fun....today's email is not for you.

This is for those of you who know you should plan - and whose lives are better when you do - but who just can't stay consistent.

If you have a full life, let's be honest: you are going to need a plan. In the next two weeks, we have a back to school night, I have a work event, we're going to a friend's birthday party and a neighbor's house for a BBQ and...you get the idea.

I am also preparing for a big set of meetings at work, and I need to finalize a bunch of details for that.

So I really need to make sure the calendar and to-do list are on point.

Why, then, do I not really want to write things down in my planner?

I honestly haven't figured out what drives my resistance. Maybe it's like anything that gets in the way of my perceived efficiency: taking the time to write down my tasks just feels like it's slowing me down.

To overcome this resistance, I have tried a few tricks to keep myself on track - even when I'm out of the planning groove. Maybe they will help you next time you find yourself ignoring your planner.

1) Use a planner you like, or use a bullet journal if you want to customize. Don't force yourself to finish a planner you don't find useful.

2) Get the right pen. I will only use the Pilot G-2 07 blue pen and that's all there is to it. Find your pen.

3) Keep it simple. Some days I write down just 2 things.

4) Remember your why. You may not want to take the time to use your planner...but you also don't want to forget that thing your boss asked you to do!

5) Make it fun. Sometimes I doodle in my planner or use random stickers or washi tape. Sometimes a visual jolt is helpful.

Need more tips? Here's my full list of ways to get back your planning groove.

Hope that helps!!

Beth @ PL

PS. Will you let me know which side of the fence you're on here? Do you experience planner resistance? Or do you think this sounds crazy?



Unsubscribe | 113 Cherry St #92768, Seattle, WA 98104-2205

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rewatching ‘Friends’ With My 10-Year-Old Daughter

Questions were asked. Sep. 20, 2024 the one where I explain condoms to my tween Rewatching 'Friends' With My 10-Year-Old Dau...