Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Are you surviving or thriving?

View this email in your browser

This Month...

"Stop trying to simply survive and start thriving in your journey as a working mother."
– Suzanne Brown

Others' Thoughts...

"When women thrive, all of society benefits, and succeeding generations are given a better start in life."
– Kofi Annan, Former United Nations Secretary-General
Share Share
Tweet Tweet
Forward Forward

Mompowerment Thoughts

Hi read,

How are you today? How's your week going?

I mentioned last newsletter that my family was on vacation in mid-March. It took me a few beats to get back into the rhythm after checking out for pretty much the whole week of spring break. I needed the time away.

Here's the thing. I had been very focused on things I could measure like checking off items on my to-do list for clients or my own businesses. I had figured out my productivity puzzle. What I wasn't focusing on (perhaps intentionally) was the things you don't measure, like whether or not I'm having fun or how much joy do I feel at a given moment.

Do you ever feel like that? You're making things happen but not necessarily enjoying the process.

And it got me thinking about the idea of thriving versus surviving. I was working on simply getting through the stuff, not thriving along the way. Here's the thing about thriving. Thriving as a general concept is about feeling successful, based on your definition. And thriving can be across areas of your life but it doesn't have to be. You can thrive in one area of your life and struggle in another.

I need a reset. Motherhood has its moments where you focus on surviving (yes, I've been there too). This is a season when I'm ready and want to thrive, though. Here are some things I'm doing that might help you if you're finding yourself in a similar situation of wanting to thrive:

More fun activities. How do you have fun? Yes, I know kids can be fun, but they can also be exhausting (sometimes both at the same time). What brings you joy outside of your family? How do you get more of the feeling of joy and fun into your day or week?

For example, I rediscovered tennis during the pandemic after not playing consistently for decades. Being on the court truly brings me joy. I'm scheduling tennis dates, so they are on the calendar, and I have that to look forward to each week. If you're in the Austin area and play tennis, let me know!! 

Focusing on my health. I haven't changed anything in how and what I eat and I exercise almost daily, but I'm gaining weight. I need to be more intentional in how I eat and what exercise I do. Realistically, I think I'm perimenopausal. If you're dealing with this, I'm right there with you. Solidarity, mamas!

It also doesn't help that I fell off the wagon on my nighttime routine. For years I was so good about writing in my gratitude journal before reading at bedtime. I'm going to bed waaaaaayyyyy too late and it's not a good thing. Working on restarting my nighttime routine. And when I'm tired, everything feels out of whack. (Tell me that I am not the only one.)

And these are some of the fundamentals of self-care. Having self-care baked into your version of working motherhood is never a bad thing. 

Connection with others. On Sunday evening I had a few women over to my house. No occasion. No selling. It was a moment of connection with each other. My husband commented how much happier I seemed the next day. As an extrovert, I need to be intentional about having these in-person connections. It's not only the moments where I bond with another mom while watching our kids play sports or do an activity. And I'm working on hanging out with a wider variety of women especially those who make me feel good about myself.

So, what brings you joy? What will you include more of in your life?

Sending good vibes,

Suzanne
 
PS Calling all mom business owners. Founders First CDC has announced its $25,000 National Kitty Fund Grant focused on supporting Mom entrepreneurs in the US. You could be one of 25 mompreneurs who receive a grant of $1,000 each. Apply now.

Share Share
Tweet Tweet
Forward Forward

How Can I Help You?

Trying to make meaningful changes to create greater work-life balance this year? Book 1:1 time with me to help you tackle a specific challenge or review a proposal for changes at work. Take action now so you don't find yourself in the same place in 3, 6, or 12 months.

As a manager or senior leader, are focusing more on wellness for your employees this year? Schedule time for a strategy session with me to brainstorm how you can support your employees to attract and retain the amazing working moms and dads in your organization. You can hire me to do a workshop or recommend me to do a training in an Employee Resource Group (ERG).

See more about Suzanne's speaking services and topics

20-minute, 60-minute, half-day, and full-day VIP sessions available

Book Your Session Today!

Insights from Mompowerment

Follow Mompowerment on LinkedIn

Check out the latest LinkedIn video

In this weekly video for working moms (and dads), I talk about the importance of using the night before to be more efficient.

Podcast interview

Listen to my interview with the podcast about the importance of mom-owned businesses, what owning a business and being a mom entails, and so many different aspects of entrepreneurship.

Thoughts from Others and Tools

Upcoming Events

Private events for various groups and companies

S.H.E. Elgin Women in Business Mother's Day Panel (for ATX and surrounding area mamas)

Buy the Books

Grab your copy of either of the award-winning Mompowerment books for yourself, your friends and colleagues, or your employees. 
Buy "Mompowerment" Book on Amazon
Buy "The Mompowerment Guide to Work-Life Balance" on Amazon

About Suzanne Brown

Suzanne Brown is a strategic marketing and business consultant and work-life balance speaker, workplace strategist, and bestselling and 4-time award-winning author. She empowers working moms to create greater work-life balance and helps companies become more balance friendly. Read her weekly blog, watch her TED talk, or read more about her books at www.mompowerment.com. She lives in Austin, TX with her husband and two young boys.
Copyright © 2023 Mompowerment, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at our website to receive a book sample of The Mompowerment Guide to Work-life Balance: Insights from Working Moms on Balancing Career and Family. You will be receiving the Introduction and Chapter One.

Our mailing address is:
Mompowerment
PO Box 202771
Austin, TX 78720-2771

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealing the Limelight, Elections & Truth

Empiricism usurped in the 21st century by ideology as represented by the lamentable Kamala Harris Kamala - stealing limelight,...