Everyone has low energy days. Today was such a day. We had a long homeschooling day, a ton of yard work, and administrative things with my mother's care. I pulled out the vegan enchilada mix and diced chicken. My husband asked for a meal with meat in it. We eat a varied diet, I don't label myself or our family. Okay, we are zero-waste. I am stuck on that label for many reasons.

Low energy days are a great excuse to order that pizza, make those dump dinners, or make other highly processed foods. I shopped my pantry shelves and freezer. I made this meal in 30 minutes from start to finish.

The vegan enchilada mix freezes well. I paired this dish with a bit of sour cream, avocado, and a green smoothie for the kids. I also served a dish of canned peaches with a bit of mint.

I encourage the homemaker to have easy homemade lunch and dinner options made ahead to ease into the lunch and dinner hours. I have several 32-ounce jars of homemade soup on the shelf. The addition of a few ingredients and pasta makes these jars a healthy, hearty meal. I pair these with bread that I have par-baked from the freezer. I have found that my pumpkin pasta sauce freezes well. We have several meat mixes that are seasoned for meals. I also have lentil meatballs and lentil loaf in the freezer.

The homemaker who plans ahead is blessed in the long run. It doesn't take all that long to make extra lentil meatballs and lentil loaves. I wrap premade meals well, label and date each item. I keep an inventory of everything in the freezer. It helps us use things up quickly and we don't find weird blocks of things that we cannot identify.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more