I make sure to have my zoom PMI turned on by 8.28 am and right on cue, my first graders pop into the waiting room moments later. They are always bright eyed and bushy tailed and eager in a way that is uniquely and delightfully first grade. I run a weekly guided reading group for a cohort of grade 1 students that are meeting second grade benchmarks and need some added opportunities to engage in book talk, to go deeper with the texts they are exploring and to be introduced to concepts like inference.

Today we read Sulwe by Lupita Nyongo. It is a stunningly beautiful book. An important story, well written and complimented with beautiful illustrations. Five weeks in, we have developed a good rapport, the children are comfortable in the group and the conversations are happening with greater ease. I introduced the group to Peardeck today, as well, in an attempt to give them a space to note down their thoughts about the main character as the story progressed. It was a risk introducing a new app that I myself had only learned days ago. I was so nervous about how they would receive the new technology, if they would be able to access the link, if it would work at all. Of course, I was blown away with their ability to navigate 2 windows, go back and forth between Zoom and Peardeck and all the while remain engaged with Sulwe as they talked about her journey through the story. We had a rich conversation and looking at the children's work afterwards, I was so impressed with the quality of their reflections.

As a Deputy Principal, I rarely get to work with a group of students for long periods of time. It's the part I miss the most. Ironically, being online for the whole school year has created opportunities that were harder to come by when we were face to face. Now more than ever, it is so important, 25 weeks into being completely virtual, that as a school leader I get a snapshot of the reality my teachers live, everyday. Teaching first graders is complex work in any situation but add to that the complexity of teaching them solely online and we just ramped up, ten fold, the level of complexity and logistical planning that is required.

I walked away from my session humbled by the amount of work my colleagues are putting in, the amazing communities of learners they have developed, the seamless way our 6-7 year olds are navigating technology. It is such a tribute to our teachers, the students and their families.

Without a doubt, it is the highlight of my week.

Sulwe by Lupita Nyongo

This free site is ad-supported. Learn more