I don't know about you, but growing up I didn't visit different museums or dine at fancy restaurants just to eat chicken nuggets with my parents. That's just me...but that won't be our son. This covid era has definitely had us move different because we are always wanting to stay safe and be careful, but we are also not wanting to live in fear, so having that balance of activities that include getting out is important too.

One thing my husband and I talked about was ensuring that our son has experiences he never thought he would and ones that we are fortunate enough to give him. We didn't grow up exposed to certain things but that doesn't mean he doesn't get to as well. Often times we remind him that we are blessed to have what we have, do what we can do and go where we can go. We work hard to have the things we have and appreciation is always first, but enjoying it is also key.

I've read multiple articles and have watched a few videos that I keep in the forefront of my mind when I think of the different, unique and fun experiences we introduce him to. I ask myself why would it be good for him? What will he gain out of it? Will he enjoy it? Is it something that he will remember?

There are so many benefits to what a child can gain from various experiences and exposure...There are definitely a lot that our only child gains from the new experiences he gets. Here are some I found that I believe are fundamental in our sons growth as well the growth of other kids.

  1. A child can only discover something new they like if they are exposed to it. Having a new experience gives the child something new to like, enjoy and be interested in wanting more.
  2. It helps with people skills. Our son is the only child, so he doesn't have siblings to interact with. Being exposed to new people in different environments helps him develop this skill and gets him out of his turtle shell.
  3. New lessons, findings and discoveries are always a possibility. Taking our son to a sneaker museum taught him way more than I was expecting myself! It was interactive, he was able to watch videos on creators and learn about something he is really into! Go figure 🙂
  4. Keeping them in a bubble because of the covid shock won't help in the long run. It's also not healthy. At some point, we hope that our little beings will grow up and go into the world and will be successful, safe and smart. We have to teach them while they are with us before they leave the nest.

These are just a few benefits (I think) will help continue to encourage me to want to expose our little one to fun, new and exciting experiences. I would love to hear what you are doing to expose yours! Drop it in the comments, follow me on my IG page and share with me there too!

I read a quote from Roald Dahl once that said "The more risks you allow your children to take, the better they learn to take care of themselves."