I have just realized that this is my 100th post! I am so happy to have had the opportunity to have gotten to this point and to be able to chat with you about life. This post is a pointed summary of what I want to connect with you about in this blog. I hope you enjoy it!

During our childhood years we are always asked what we want to be when we grow up. Then we grow up and some of us are trying to figure it out or don't like what we decided to do.

I see two issues with this. First is basing our identity on what we do; we are definitely more than a day job. Second, not taking the time to dig in order to find out what is valuable for us and assuming a career is all there is to it. By basing our future on a career, we place our focus in making money and not in who we are. We can make money in so many different ways, but we only have one life to live and if we don't invest it wisely, we will pay big time.

Preparing for a career is very high up in my book because I believe that you need to be responsible for your current and future self, as well as those that depend on you. Basic needs should be covered as well as emotional and mental needs. Life, however, is more than 40-hour-week periods. It is a growing journey with challenges and opportunities that never cease to come up. Our lens can't be focused on one part of the picture; we need a full glimpse of the scenario.

In my childhood, I don't recall specific moments of being guided or taking time to think of what type of woman I wanted to be outside of the career and integrity conversations. I was, like all of us, raised with certain values and lived by truths that shaped me into who I am today. My parents' goal was for me to be a respectful and responsible woman. I am very grateful for their dedication and sacrifices, because I enjoy the fruits of their labor today. Now that I can make my own decisions, I can see how referring to life outside of the responsibilities would have benefitted me greatly. I would still hold the same values; I would just have liked to start sketching my thoughts on my adult self with some semblance of a plan much earlier in life.

Because it is still not late, I question myself again and again on what I want in this life. We are all blinded by money and popularity, and might quickly want to run to that. It is very tempting, but I want more than that. The statement for your life should be based on your values. Money is a means to an end, not the goal. For this reason, picking a way to make money can't be the main plan of your life. What is the end that you have in sight? When your life is almost over and you turn around to look at your years, what would you like to see? What would you like others to remember you for? These are the things that are important to you.

After reflecting I keep getting to these conclusions:

  • I want to be a supporting and healthy person that can lift others up.
  • I want a simple life not cluttered with things or greedy influences so that I have room to enjoy what matters most.
  • I want to try hard and leave it all on the mound in an attempt to live to my full potential.

I have an ideal and then a reason to remind me why it is important to me. Now I can use these statements to help me plan out specific actions that will help me be that person.

I challenge you to take some time to think who you want to be. Reflecting on your goals is the first step to making them happen.

Let's chat about this again soon.


This post is ad-supported