As I've committed to working towards a goal of owning my own cafe in the future, I got a job as a Barista in Jul 2021. It's now October, and I've been asked to work for the Sales & Business Development Team instead.

This is coming at me while I'm still managing 2 of my own home-businesses which I haven't had the chance to fully grow.

Initially, the plan was to work as a Barista, to learn Barista-skills. Making coffee, and pouring latte art while I had the free time from the less busy moments of running 2 small businesses. Hopefully I would be able to learn a bit about the coffee industry from that position - good enough to start my own cafe.

These days, I'm rarely at the cafe, and I'm being asked to look for new business opportunities for the headquarters. I'll be back, behind a screen, doing what I think I already know how to do - but doing it for someone else's business.

Should I be seeing this as a new opportunity for growth? An opportunity to really dive deep into the local coffee scene? An opportunity to build relationships with people in the industry?

Or is this a distraction from what I could be doing for myself?

I could be putting in more time to grow my existing business, to set my life in order, to improve the quality of my life... Am I getting sidetracked from what I had initially planned?

Was my plan even a good one in the first place?

I really have no idea on what to do. But I do know that whatever I choose tomorrow, I'll have to do it with grace and gratitude. Even in the short 3.5 months, I've learnt a lot about what it takes to work at a cafe. Running one myself will be a completely different ball game.

I'm not ready yet, but what will it take to get there?


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more