When I was a child I spent a tremendous amount of time by myself. My solace helped me in many ways, one of them being the depth of my imagination. It's remarkable. I didn't say good, mind you. Just remarkable.

Another benefit of my deep imagination is causes me to look at the world with curiosity gifting me the ability to value the most minor details, the things most people overlook. The details of a story in a cloudy sky. The way dew forms perfect droplets on everything. The magic moonlight can hold. When I was younger I believed moonlight was cleansing and washed away your sorrows.

My bedroom growing up had high vaulted ceilings and a large scalene triangle window high at the top of the furthest wall. Directly outside the window was a large oak tree that would brush against the glass on windy evenings. Most people hated it. I loved it.

During especially rough times, I would lay in the light of the moon that managed to make it's way through the large oak branches and into my bedroom. I would curl up into a tiny little ball just to try to squeeze my entire body into the puddle of light. She comforted me when there was no one else around.

I felt an odd sense of calm when I sat in the moonlight. As if it really were cleansing me of every sorrow I held on to. Every trauma or tragedy that had writhed its way into my life was being washed away by that gentle, silver light.

This has since become a tradition in my life. Things get insanely overwhelming, seek out Luna. Unfortunately, since living in Mo'ili'ili, I haven't been able to enjoy the moon as the buildings got in the way. Tonight. Here. No obstructions.

I went out into the crisp evening air and laid down on the cement pad of the backyard porch of the home I'm staying at. The sky was completely clear, of course. There was a small handful of stars and a nearly full, brilliantly bright moon. I just laid there. Soaking in the cold and the glorious light. I felt like a child, just for a moment. Believing my pain would be gone when I stood up to leave. The truth hurts a bit more as an adult.

That light, though.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more