The dishwasher is full, my counters are a mess, and there is lots to be done here in our little house, but this morning I was in the mood to make. Something about autumn and winter really stirs a desire within me to cozy down, get creative and work with my hands. Maybe it's because we are spending less time outside and it feels good to do something "busy". Maybe it's just because in my mind it sounds like a good idea, like crafts and crisp air just go hand in hand. Whatever it is, I definitely find myself making more time to make. I'm not very good at documenting things, I have to remind myself to stop what I am doing and take pictures, but I tried really hard this time to put together little "how to" to show you how to make a quilted pot holder. These little guys come together real quick. You only need a few things, all you need to be able to do is sew a straight line and they are super handy for all of those comfort meals you'll be cookin' up this autumn and winter. Shall we get to makin'?

"Quilted" Pot Holder

What You'll Need

  • Fabric scraps, any size will do. You'' need to cut 4 small squares the same size and 1 large square the size of all the four squares combined. Example If each square is 3x3 inches you'll want a large square to be 6x6 not including your seam allowances.
  • Scissors
  • Sewing Machine
  • Matching Thread
  • Insul-bright Batting to make it heat resistant
  • An iron

Constructing Your Hot Pad

  • Begin by cutting out your squares. Like I mentioned above you can make them any size, mine were about 4x4
  • I used two different fabrics. So I placed one square of one fabric with another square of the other fabric right sides together and sewed along one edge of the square. Then pressed the seam with my iron.
  • Do the same with your other two squares.
  • Press your seams nicely, then place your two pieces right sides together, but alternate the pattern. So that the same fabrics will be diagonal.
  • Sew along the edge to make a big square.
  • Cut your back side fabric the size of your completed pieced square.
  • Cut your Insul-bright the same size
  • Stack your pieces like this: Insul-bright then your pieced square right side facing up, then your back piece right sides facing each other. See example below.
  • Pin your pieces together, sew around leaving an opening large enough to turn your pot holder right side out.
  • Clip the corners and turn out, press your opening and secure it closed and continue to top stitch all around. staying as close to the edge as you can.

That's it, you guys! It's all done, I told you is was simple! You could add another layer of insul-bright for added heat resistance. Just be sure to test it out before you go picking up some super hot pans. Also you could also easily add in a little hook using bias tape, scrap fabric, twill ribbon. I actually like mine without because I don't have a place to hang it anyway. Thanks so much for stopping by, happy sewing!

Blessings,

Bree


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more