Recently as I was listening to the Andrea Bocelli station on a music streaming service a familiar song introduction began to play. I was a bit surprised because I hadn't heard the song "My Tribute" in some time, let alone by Bocelli. Boy was I surprised when instead of a tribute to God I heard, "My Way," streaming in my house. A famous song with a likable tune, sung by amazing singers, but not what I was expecting at all. I was so jarred that I turned it off completely, but I could not stop thinking about these two very different, very famous songs.

"My Way," as we know it today was written for Frank Sinatra (love that voice!) and was number one multiple times in the UK, a crowd favorite everywhere. However even Frank Sinatra didn't like the song that brought him back to the spotlight. This became Frank Sinatra's signature song, but he couldn't stand it, saying he "loathed" the song. In his later years, he described the song as "a Paul Anka pop hit which became a kind of national anthem." In a 2000 interview with the BBC show Hardtalk, Sinatra's daughter Tina said, "He always thought that song was self-serving and self-indulgent. He didn't like it. That song stuck and he couldn't get it off his shoe." (Songfacts.com).

His description is accurate. It is all about self. I did it. It was all me. Myself. My way.

This could not be more different than "My Tribute." Singer, songwriter, pastor, Grammy award winner, Gospel Music Hall of Famer, AndraƩ Crouch's career is not less impressive, but his message is clear: The glory for all of it belongs to God. His song, My Tribute, was written in the space of 10 minutes after a prophetic phone call and scripture reading. It had been an instant hit just about everywhere it was played.

He said, 'Read John, chapter 17.' In that passage Jesus said, 'Father, I have glorified Thee, now glorify me.' I read the passage and didn't feel any inspiration to write."

"The following morning I got up singing 'to God be the glory.' I asked myself, 'Where did that come from?' I then went to the piano and wrote "My Tribute," in about 10 minutes."

Terry, Lindsey. https://www.staugustine.com/article/20150903/lifestyle/309039972. (2015)

Here is a side-by side comparison. Look for the different uses of the words "I," and "me." Then scroll down and we will bring this closer to home.

My Way

My friend, I'll make it clear
I'll state my case, of which I am certain

I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more
I did it, I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much, much more
I did it, I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
And through it all, whenever there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it, did it my way

I've loved, laughed and cried
I had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside
I find that it's all so amusing

And to think I did all that
And may I say not in a shy way
No, no, not me
I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got
If not himself, then he has naught
Not to say the things that he truly feels
And not the words of someone who kneels
The record shows I took all the blows
And did it my way

Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Claude Francois / Gilles Thibaut / Jacques Revaux / Paul Anka

My Way lyrics © Warner Chappell Music France, Jeune Musique Editions, BMG Rights Management

My Tribute

How can I say thanks
For the things You have done for me?
Things so undeserved
Yet You gave to prove Your love for me
The voices of a million angels
Could not express my gratitude
All that I am and ever hope to be
I owe it all to Thee

To God be the glory
To God be the glory
To God be the glory
For the things He has done

With His blood He has saved me
With His power He has raised me
To God be the glory
For the things He has done

Oh, just let me live my life
Let it be pleasing, Lord to Thee
And if I gain any praise
Let it go to Calvary (Calvary)

Oh, with His blood (His blood) He has saved me (He has saved me)
With His power (His power) He has raised me (He has raised me)
To God (to God) be the glory (glory)
For the things He has done

Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Andrae Edward Crouch / Andrae Crouch / Andrae' Crouch

My Tribute lyrics © Bud-john Songs Inc.

Specifically for me with music, this has been a battle- my glory and purposes or His? I'm thankful that those two purposes are lining up more and more, but how many other places am I taking the credit, trying to do it all myself, my way, my time?

Dear God,

Forgive me when I think I've done it all or I can do it all, when I don't rely on you. Forgive me when I take the glory that is due to you. …."Just let me live my life
Let it be pleasing, Lord to Thee
And if I gain any praise
Let it go to Calvary!" You have saved me! You have raised me! To You be the glory, now and forever! Amen

Sources

https://www.staugustine.com/article/20150903/lifestyle/309039972

https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-my-tribute

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/frank-sinatra/my-way


This post is ad-supported