Sir Simon: Super Scarer, by Cale Atkinson, is frighteningly adorable. I giggled to myself. I smirked at the artwork. I made my husband read it out loud to me because I knew he'd find it funny. It's the perfect little Halloween book about friendship, differences, and hard work.

Simon the ghost has finally gotten his first big transfer - a haunted house! He's excited for all of the fun haunting he will get to do... but less excited about all of the chores and responsibility that come with moving up in ghost world. When a surprise child moves into the house, Simon gets creative and tries to pull some tricks to get out of his duties.

This book is exactly my sense of humour. I love the little ghost chores that Simon tires of: stomping in the attic with shoes on his little ghost hands at 1 in the morning. Moving things from room to room at 2:10 am to confuse the humans. And the list of things he's haunted while waiting for the haunted house assignment? Pizza, ukulele, potato. The ghost world is very funny.

The book is told from Simon's point of view, so from a theatre teacher perspective, I LOVE it. It gets kids jumping straight into creative play and trying out ghost voices all on their own. It's fun to see Simon and Chester's friendship hit bumpy patches and eventually blossom.

Published by Tundra Books 🇨🇦 recommended ages 4-8. Created by Dale Atkinson. I borrowed this book from the public library.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more