My blog fell wayside to the drama of my laptop dying after a month of use, the drama of our acquired tribe, and a very sick Golden retriever. Lessons learned, yet, again. Seriously, our Thanksgiving evening was a version of a skit of Saturday night live. What lessons were revisited this Thanksgiving? Let me ponder if you haven't met the new girlfriend of a dear friend more than a dozen times, don't say sure you can make the cranberry sauce. If you do, make your own anyway. Don't say sure, bring your dogs. My poor girl did not have a good time defending her castle and grounds. She woke up ill the next day. I won't go through the gory details and my tears.

Thanksgiving meal preparation was interesting as the girlfriend attempted to boss me around in my kitchen. I listened to Petshops Boy's West End Girls in my head over and over, as I listen to the girlfriend recount her life story. The boys watched football. It is the season of loving others where they are. My patience was wearing thinner than my turkey gravy.

Prior to my guests arriving, I made my phone calls to my family. I had a lovely chat with my daughter. My talk with my mother was challenging. She is living in an assisted living facility. She has moved in last week. I am sure she is lonely, however, the conversations were not pleasant. I found myself frustrated and was not interested with her shortness with me. My mother is newly diagnosed with early stages of dementia and other issues that makes it challenging to deal with her. Dementia brings a ton of issues to the surface. My education and training doesn't make it easier because she is family. She installed my buttons and knows how to push them. I made it into my home gym and watched the Five People you meet in Heaven. I ran for 45 minutes on the treadmill. I was in a better space for guests.

The Thanksgiving drama recap is one that many families have been dealing with for years. There is always the wounded, broken person who needs to create chaos to stay in their comfort zone. The day went okay until, we sat down to dinner. Our wounded bird decided to announce she wanted a baby multiple times, even after our dear friend told her to shut it down. In fact, he begged her. I have never not been able to redirect someone from a topic. Disengaging with her fueled her need to dominate the holiday, the conversation, and to simply be front and center.

I cleaned up the table and loaded the dishwasher three times. The day ended. The leftovers were stored and the conversation went overboard. Our young friends are having serious relationship issues. The airing of dirty laundry was mean-spirited and beyond revealing of her spirit. The conversation was everlasting circle of insults, accusations, and plain meaness. My darling husband frankly told her that "I have had enough of this and we are driving you home."

Thanksgiving night, my husband and I collapsed in our bed and recounted the craziness of the evening. We both remarked how lucky it was not be in our thirties and still dating. We reveled in the quiet, bliss of our lives. The love and respect we give each other, our home, and our family and friends.

The next day, there were insincere apologies by text. It was too little too late. I was a gracious hostess. I drank my coffee and went over Thanksgiving events with my husband. I sat down to return the texts. My advice to them was to separate and go into couples counseling.

Thanksgiving drama recounted, now let's talk about leftovers. We have a gallon of turkey soup, 3 pot pies, and turkey enchildas. My husband has enjoyed many turkey sandwiches and slices of the pumpkin pie I have ever made. I will post the recipe of the pumpkin pie later. It was made with digestive cookie crumbs as a crust.

Tonight, we had a turkey casserole of egg noodles, gravy, and vegetables. I served this with my cranberry sauce, and a salad.

Thank goodness for drama to make one grateful for the life we have created.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more