I can't be the only one in this boat...my parents (and my in-laws) don't need anything. They have what they need. One year I'm pretty sure my Mom asked me to get her shampoo and conditioner...mind you, it was expensive, but the point remains the same, they don't need anything. So buying for them is always...well... a little bit on the more difficult side. This year might be the first year that before December, my Mom has actually told me what she wants and that I must say is a Christmas miracle.

Now, every family has a different status quo for gift. Some people don't buy gifts for parents/grandparents, some people do homemade gifts or sentimental things, some people gift experiences, some people gift stuff and kitsch, and some people prefer things that are practical, but also something maybe they wouldn't buy themselves. My parents fall into the latter category.

Let me be clear...these are not all the gifts my parents (or in-laws) will get. These are just examples of things we have done over the years. This year, my Mom is getting these fluffy All Birds slippers which frankly I want to order for myself, and I don't have any regrets about that. Everyone (and I mean everyone) in our families has gotten a mug (or two or three) from Pretty By Her who I think has the funniest and cutest mugs (which is why there is a section in my kitchen devoted to them), but you can get them made to suit whatever needs you have (so yes, I did have a "Duckie" shark mug made...). It's a bit sentimental, but not so much so (or so expensive) that they can't let it go after a few years should they so choose. Now, the Nespresso ... I would 100% recommend this gift if you have a coffee drinking grandparent in your life. But do your research. Look into the machines, talk to the recipient about what they might like in a machine. Call me a Scrooge, call me a spoilsport...I would much rather have a conversation with someone and have them tell me if they are (or are not) interested in a gift than buy it and have them feel obligated to keep it simply because I gave it to them. I certainly don't want that on a big ticket item like a Nespresso machine. Another gift that fall somewhere in the middle of sentimental and practical is family photos. We did these a few years ago and have absolutely no regrets. We used our amazing photographer, Alina, from Halliday Photography located in Kitchener/Waterloo and she took some of the most beautiful family photos with my parents, my siblings and all of our children. Get the photos done, print a few of the best ones out in frames that go with the decor vibe in their house and *chefs kiss* you've got an amazing gift.

So here goes, here are some of my top suggestions, fitting a variety of budgets for what to get the grandparents in your life this year.

  • Nespresso Machine (we love our Lattissima One)
  • Milk Frother (Blume Tea has a USB chargeable option!)
  • Allbirds Slippers
  • Family Photos
  • Shop Highway 3 Blankets
  • Cheese Freaking Board
  • Personalized Mugs

Ok, so those are a few of my favourites that frankly can all fall into different price points. Another go to gift in our family (especially for my husbands grandparents) is to get a nice charcuterie board from a local cheese shop (Guelph friends, have you been to Tomme on Carden Street? If not, you are missing out). This is a consumable so it won't take up absurd amounts of space, and you can customize it with fun cheese options that you think your loved one will like, add a bottle of wine and you're good to go! The perfect gift for the person who has everything. Last year was the year of the Highway3 personalized blanket. We have gotten this gift for my Mom twice, and last year my in-laws received a few of them. These blankets are soft, snuggly, personalized, reasonably priced and arrive so quickly (although I do not support last minute ordering), just be aware that if you are in Canada, you will be charged duty, but it's always been very reasonable for me.

I hope this has been helpful. Maybe you got some gift ideas for your parents, or grandparents...maybe it just got your wheels turning and thinking about different options instead of the good old polo shirt you've been buying your Dad for the last twenty years?

happy shopping,

xo, Carolyn