The day's tasks left me behind schedule. We had an issue with sheep in the dooryard and our dog escaped to chase the sheep. Poor Stella longed to chase the sheep all afternoon. I closed the gate and called Stella home. My husband was at work. I needed to fill the hole under the fence Stella had dug to escape.

I returned to my tasks. I finished stitching the Fall slipcovers for chairs and the couch. I love the rich heather I selected this year. I have been working on a braided rug in the evenings. I finished it this morning. The living room looks lovely and cozy.

My vegetable barley beef soup

3 chopped onions

3 carrots diced

4 celery stalks

a bag of frozen vegetables

1 cup quick-cooking barley

2 qt of vegetable broth

2 qt of beef broth

3 cups of shredded pot roast(I had this in the freezer)

1 cup of sweated kale

2 tablespoons Rosemary

4 bay leaves

thyme-infused oil

In a large stockpot, add 2 tablespoons of thyme-infused oil, saute carrots, onion, celery until soft. Add the vegetable and broths. Add the beef. In a tea ball, place rosemary, bay leaves, and garlic cloves. Simmer 45 minutes. Add quick-cook barley. Cook another 15 minutes. Remove tea ball. Add sweated kale.

I served this in bread bowls, with a wedge of aged cheese, and a crisp green salad topped with apples, cranberries, and almonds.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more