Today is my Graduation Day.

Not a lot of people know the whole story, or that it happened at all. But last November, I was feeling uneasy, dizzy, bloated. We don't know what caused it, but I asked my family to drive me to ER for labs. I was admitted to the CSMC because my Creatinine was exceptionally high at 1,500 (normal range is 50-90), enough to require an emergency operation for an immediate dialysis.

During my 2-week stay, my creatinine took its time to slow down. I had labs everyday, dialysis every other day, urine bag, etc. FBS and BP were fluctuating so they had to give me amlodipine and insulin as well. The diagnosis: acute kidney failure, and the Nephro narrowed down the cause: I took NSAID (mefenamic for pain), of which I developed a strong reaction to (understatement). I was advised to undergo biopsy for possible chronic nephritis, to manage it early should it turn out positive. It was negative, another blessing.

My life paused while I was fighting for my life in the hospital. I am very thankful for family and friends who prayed and sent food (Milo the bantay was full and very happy!) and carried my responsibilities at home, at Sofie's homeschooling and in the office. Sobrang swerte ko sa pamilya at kaibigan dahil maraming nagdasal at maraming tumulong.

Good thing I was discharged and discontinued already with dialysis. For two months, we continued with oral meds, and pursued a no-salt diet. I lost 15lbs, and my life has completely changed after.

Today, after two months, my creatinine is back to normal ranges at 87. Today, I graduate already from the anxiety, from the fear of the unknown... and I cannot be more thankful.

Today, on my graduation day, God gave me the best (Advanced) birthday gift. I cannot ask for more. I am thankful not just to be well, but for the circumstances (painful as they have been) that made me reevaluate my lifestyle and life's priorities. Health is the True Wealth.

And with nothing else left... God is the only constant that remains. Let's always pray, let's always Keep the Faith. 🙏


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more