We moved into our home in November of 2019 and since then, I've wanted to add Chinoiserie panels to our living room. So many of my favorite designers use these panels as accent pieces in rooms they design and since our home is so open and with white walls, I felt they would add a dose of print and color, while really helping to define the space.

I'm thrilled with how they turned out and will share all of the information about them in this post!

Where can you buy Chinoiserie panels?
My panels are from The Mural Source. Specifically, they're the Maysong Spring panels in the color spring. You'll notice these panels come in a set of four, because they can be used as wallpaper in a room. I chose panels two and three since they both had pink flowers and I loved the birds on those panels.

Gracie and de Gournay both offer Chinoiserie panels that are hand-painted and thus cost significantly more - they're totally stunning. You can also purchase hand-painted Chinoiserie panels on Etsy for less and you can even purchase some already framed (albeit, these are much smaller). Costs are higher as panels increase in size, of course. If you have the budget to really splurge on these, definitely go for the hand painted panels - they're exquisite!

Here are some online buying options for Chinoiserie panels:

Lots of Chinoiserie panels both hand-painted and printed are available on Etsy. They also have peel-n-stick wallpaper in a Chinoiserie motif, which I've linked below. Just click the image to be taken to the item.

SHOP CHINOISERIE PANELS

Lauren Haskell also sells framed panels in 25.5" x 37.5" sizes - a lovely option for a smaller area!

SHOP FRAMED CHINOISERIE PANELS

Caitlin Wilson also sells framed panels as well as unframed. I believe most of the panels she offers are actually from The Mural Source.

SHOP CHINOISERIE PANELS

The nice thing about The Mural Source panels is that they're printed in a way that mimics a hand painted panel - so they have some markings that make them appear closer to hand painted panels but the cost is lower. Having said that, hand painted panels are so special and have so much beauty, but I went with printed to lower the overall cost of the project because the mounting and framing is so expensive.

Deciding on the size of Chinoiserie panels
We have 10 ft ceilings, so I immediately knew I wanted taller panels, especially since they'd be flanking the large wall our sideboard and Frame TV are on. I also knew I wanted the background color to be blue, so that left me with a few options, but I was most drawn to Maysong Spring. I ordered a sample online and taped it to my wall with painter's tape before making my final decision.

They are 36 inches wide without the frame and about 84 inches tall without the frame. The panels arrive at 108 inches tall, because they have extra blue sky at the top that is meant to be cut down to the "design height." I chose to have the framer cut down inches from both the bottom and the top of my panels as I wanted slightly less ground and slightly more sky - it comes down to personal preference.

Deciding on the size depends on where you plan to use them. I think these panels add such a wow factor that it's great to place them somewhere where you can go big, but the smaller panels are also so lovely in nurseries (more here and here), hallways and other smaller areas of the home. I love the use of larger panels in an entryway or dining room as well!

How to frame Chinoiserie panels
I had my panels mounted and framed locally at Davis Hardware. The cost was significant, but worth it. Depending on where you live, it could cost more or less. Chinoiserie panels must be mounted onto a thick board such as Gator Board and some, such as Gracie, have very explicit instructions for mounting, such as having to use a special wallpaper liner before mounting the panel onto the board.

This is a process I personally did not feel comfortable pursuing as a DIY project. Not only do I not have access to the actual gold bamboo frames (you can't buy frame pieces this large online), I didn't want to mess up the panels which also cost a lot - so professional mounting + framing was the way to go.

As I mentioned above, you can buy already framed panels from several retailers, but not ones this large. Panels as large as mine almost always have to be custom framed because you just can't purchase frames this large from online retailers.

Hanging Chinoiserie panels
When I was at Davis Hardware dropping off my panels and selecting my frame, I happened to run into a couple that has a company called Level Arts, who were there picking up art for a client. They professionally deliver and hang art - perfect timing!

I didn't want to risk transporting the panels in my SUV and wasn't even sure they'd fit. Plus, the panels are massive and had to be secured properly on a bar that's attached to the frame (they're not heavy, thankfully). I hired the Level Arts team to install these and they're perfect, level and secure - it was definitely worth the extra cost. I liked working with their team because we worked together to determine the best height and spacing and it was nice to have experts give feedback on this.

I hope this post answers all of your questions about where to buy Chinoiserie panels and how to frame them. If you have any other questions, please leave them in the comments!

Now, to more photos! So excited to have these panels complete our space!