Thursday, July 21, 2022

Making Back to School Season Easier

Hi read,

Can you believe that July is almost over?! In June, the summer always seems so long to me! We're navigating different summer camp schedules and locations, planning travel, and trying to make the most of the longer days.

Then July 4th hits and suddenly it moves much more quickly! We head back to school in just a few weeks, so I'm starting to think about how we can ease the transition this year. What are your biggest challenges during back to school time? If there are enough of these, I'll do a second write up with more ideas.

In the meantime, these are my favorite little tips to make the transition back to school easier and more efficient.

1) Return to school year bedtimes during the week before school starts

Last year, my kids spent the last week of summer at my parents' house. Let's just say grandma and grandpa aren't quite as strict about bedtime as I am. So it was a little tough transitioning back to the school bedtime schedule when they returned. This year, we don't have any travel plans the week before school starts, so we'll start enforcircing stricter bedtimes that week.

2) Pre-Order School supplies

Our schools offer a service that allows you to pre-order the specific school supplies needed for your child's grade. I love this service so much!! I know that a lot of people enjoy the ritual of buying school supplies, and I also love school/office supplies. To scratch this itch and make it fun, I usually let my kids pick a few fun things from Target. But it's stress-free because I know we already have everything they need.

3) Block your calendar on the first day

The first day of school is not just another day! Try to take that day off or at least block a couple of hours in the morning to make sure your kids are all set. In the past, I have not done this and it feels so chaotic. Now I take off the 1st and last days of school and it is so much calmer.

4) Do a dry run of the school commute if your child is going to a new place

If your child is starting a new school, they may feel anxious about it. One of my kids is very laid back, but the other gets nervous about new situations. To help take some of the guesswork out of it, it can be helpful to do a mock-commute before school starts. Drive, walk, or ride to the school and talk about what they will do when they arrive. If they will take the bus, visit the bus stop and the bus lane at school. Going through these steps before the schools are busy with students can really help alleviate the first day of school jitters.

5) Start a LITTLE academic work in the last 1-2 weeks of summer (experimental)

My kids used to go to year-round school, meaning their breaks were spread out throughout the year. They only had 3-4 weeks off in the summer, so we didn't see much "summer slide". Now we are on a traditional calendar and it's a pretty long break! My youngest just expressed some anxiety about picking up where she left off on math. So we are going to start working on a few things in August so she feels ready to roll when she gets back. This is my first time trying this out, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Let me know your biggest back to school challenges or tips!

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Beth @ Parent Lightly



Unsubscribe | 113 Cherry St #92768, Seattle, WA 98104-2205

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealing the Limelight, Elections & Truth

Empiricism usurped in the 21st century by ideology as represented by the lamentable Kamala Harris Kamala - stealing limelight,...