Thursday, November 3, 2022

Seasonal Clothing Turnover for Kids

Hi read,

It's getting chilly here!! Most of the people in my house are ready for winter. Snow days ahead for us here in Colorado!

We picked up our season rental skis a few weeks ago (yes, I like to go early for the best choices!) and that means it's time to do the seasonal clothing turnover. Here are the steps I take when it goes from hot to cold or vice versa.

1) Empty all of the prior season's clothes from the dresser and closet.

2) Separate out the clothes that have been outgrown.

3) (Optional, if you have multiple children) Make a pile of clothes to keep for a younger sibling. When my kids were little, I did this based on the condition of the clothes. Now, I let the kids do this themselves. I don't force it. My younger daughter has different style than my eldest and that is OK.

4) Put any clothes that have been outgrown and won't be kept for a sibling into a bag or box for donation. (Tip: Have a designated time and place for making donations! Otherwise this stuff will sit forever. I go to a donation drop box near my kids' activity on Monday. Easy.)

5) Put the out of season clothes you are keeping for next year into a bin. I usually put these bins on a high shelf in the closet. One of my children tries to wear shorts when it's snowing outside, so I just hide those clothes for the winter. I do leave short sleeved shirts accessible because my kids wear these year-round with layers.

6) (Optional) Try on specialty clothes. For winter, my kids have a full set of ski/snow gear: waterproof pants, waterproof jacket, waterproof gloves/mittens, balaklava, helmet, goggles, long underwear, and ski socks. They also have regular cold weather gear: regular gloves/mittens, warm hat, down jacket, etc. In the summer, we are thinking about sandals and swimsuits. Either way, I like to try these on before the season really starts so I know what I need to buy.

7) Store the in-season clothes where they are easily accessible to your child. (Side note: Now my kids have dressers/chests of drawers, but when they were younger I stored their clothes on open shelves for easy access.)

That's it! It doesn't take too long once you get rolling and, for me, it's always exciting to prepare for the upcoming season.

Do you want a deep dive into any of these steps? Let me know if so!

Best,

Beth @ Parent Lightly



Unsubscribe | 113 Cherry St #92768, Seattle, WA 98104-2205

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealing the Limelight, Elections & Truth

Empiricism usurped in the 21st century by ideology as represented by the lamentable Kamala Harris Kamala - stealing limelight,...