Not My Girl continues Margaret Pokiak-Fenton's childhood story at a Residential school. You may be familiar with the first book, When I Was Eight, written by Christy Jordan-Fenton and beautifully illustrated by Gabrielle Grimard. In it she is given the English name "Margaret," and stripped of her Inuit name, Olemaun. Her braids are cut and she is forced to do chores and locked in a basement rather than learn to read, as she had hoped. It is her story of bravery and persistence.

Not My Girl continues Margaret's journey to hold on to her language and re-discover herself when she returns from Residential School. As she tries to fit in back at home, she struggles with the things she has lost. She is called an outsider by those who don't understand what she has gone through away from home, and her mother barely recognizes her as her own daughter, saying "not my girl." And all of this at only age 10.

Slowly, Margaret regains confidence in her skills like fishing, the sled dogs begin to recognize her scent again, and she reclaims her language. All of this told through some of the most vibrant images - the artwork of Margaret driving a team of sled dogs against the northern lights is gorgeous.

This is one of the books that I will be using in my teaching as we near September 30th, Truth and Reconciliation Day. Recommended ages 6-10. I purchased this book myself - Published by Annick Press.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more