This crisp night before all Halloween eve, we harvested two hundred pounds of potatoes. I love working the dirt on our land. The crisp air around me as the sun sets in colors of deep purple, pink, and red across the dunes.

We have invested in a potato fork to avoid cutting potatoes in half. I canned jars of applesauce. The next project is canning the vegetable beef soup that is simmering on the stove.

We have been so blessed on our little homestead. Every year, I venture deeper into canning. I always follow the USDA recommendations. My neighbor asked me why I can so much? I have always made healthy meals ahead. Many years ago, I followed the cook once a month plan. I have never been a fan of premade, prepackaged food boxed in plastic and cardboard. I have never been a fan of Mcdonald's. I always wanted my children to grow up with a taste for real food.

As we venture into late fall, I feel deep gratitude for all we have. We have many more root vegetables to harvest. Our kale is much sweeter since it has been kissed by the frost's tender lips. I am serving chicken and dumplings this evening topped with kale sweated with oil and garlic.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more