I belonged in a family that semi-celebrated Halloween Nana said we'd go to hell, it's the devil's festival But my pastor uncle,  took us to almost every house in our small town,  twice always starting  on the good side of town, the ones that gave out mini-candy bars and never stopping at Nana's Rule follower me reminded him we'd already been to this house or that "They don't remember,  go get you some more candy!"  Once, my mom took us trick-or-treating- one round, no fancy houses, quick- there are other things to do "There's candy by the door,"  she instructs Dad. But it's Monday Night Football  and the Dallas Cowboys are playing We return home with our bags all the lights out darkness Where is he? In the bedroom,  under the bed a portable black and white TV  flickers mini-figured gray football men, tackling Dad,   a pillow propped  under his chest lying on his stomach,  mesmerized. A bowl full of black and orange  paper wrapped peanut butter nougat candy untouched, waiting for us to split it. "I didn't want anyone to interrupt me." We give him some of our Snickers,  his favorite.  I became the family  makeup artist  the year all the younger cousins  were clowns, costumes cheap to assemble and there was enough face paint  to go around  transforming my little brother into a skull Charged with getting everyone  out the door,  I don't remember them  paying me  with candy.  I got married  one Halloween my engagement ring  cost a dollar A white fuzzy pipe cleaner  looped into a circle a rock salt crystal gem hot glued  to the top "I do."  "I do." And that was that, teen-aged Halloween carnival vows without the promise of forever
Tuesday, October 26, 2021