By Andrea Pavee

As a young child, my paternal grandmother, Nanie, had a large part in my upbringing. Such was the culture of yesteryears where extended family was immediate family.

Nanie was a woman of great experience, having lived through two World Wars and other troubled times. She came from poverty and through sheer grit, heaps of determination and hard work, brought up and gave everything she had for her family.

I spent a lot of time with her, principally because she took me to school, and then to ballet and music classes, and whatever else in-between. She also overnighted with us, and would regale us about the many adventures of the mighty Sinbad.

Between the miles and miles of roads we traversed together, she would always pepper our conversations with life lessons, one of which was; waste not, want not.

For a long time, those words washed over me like water off a duck's back. It was not until I had established a house and home, with children of my own, that those words, flown far and wide, came back to roost.

In a previous article, I wrote about the wonderful world of cross stitch. This time round I will offer for your consideration how we can stitch with passion and love while stretching our money a little longer, with Nanie's sage advice.

Depending on the projects you take on, it is inevitable that you will end up with excess thread, once your project completes. If you are as passionate about stitching as I am, your excess thread collection will grow over time. To keep things tidy, and well used, I usually use up my excess thread by creating a project which can withstand the test of time and the perhaps infrequent supply of thread: a cross-stitch quilt!

Pick a simple, timeless pattern, cut out a swatch of Aida cloth, size depends on what feels comfortable for you, and stitch away. Since it is a quilt anyway, the multi-coloured thread and the irregular cloth just lends more character to your creation.

Once you have completed sufficient swatches of stitched Aida fabric, have a tailor stitch it into whatever suits your fancy. Since I am in a duvet cover mode, this project will fruit into yet another duvet cover. Alternatives includes cushion covers, table cloths or even coasters – the choice is yours for the choosing.

Happy stitching!

Poste by Chayo, HomSkil Editor 1, 23 October 2021