Parenting and life lessons. My youngest is a senior in high school. With two twenty-somethings, I have had some practice letting go of the reins with my kids. I might be a little more chill about their decisions these days, but that hasn't come without a lot of years of frustration.

I remember when one of my kids was talking to someone on social media that they shouldn't be. Waking up at all hours, endlessly glued to the screen. This was many years ago, when it wasn't quite so usual for everyone to be attached to their screens all the time. After trying so many things, taking away the phone, taking away other privileges, and talking until I was out of talk, I still caught that child up at 3 am, on an old "lost" device, talking to this person they shouldn't be. Again.

I remember my rage and frustration so clearly, in the middle of that night, and the wide eyes of my kid, completely unmoved by my temper. The look said "you can't make me."

There may be few things as frustrating to a parent than the realization that no, you really can't make them do anything. Not without mental / physical injury or breaking the law. Oh, I wanted to wring that child's neck that day, but I didn't. And I remember that "you can't make me" moment so well.

I remember the time I gave it to my own parents, too. I was running around with a much older crowd, lying about where I was. They went to the place where I said I was one night, I wasn't there, and then confronted me when I arrived home. I got the lecture, and the "promise you won't do that again" ultimatum. But I looked straight at my father and told him I couldn't promise him that. And I am sure, in that moment, when I was supposed to promise, whether or not I meant it, he must have wanted to wring my sassy teenage neck as well. (Sorry, Mom and Dad! Wish you were here so I could apologize to your faces.)

In my adult life, this lesson has smacked me in the face many times. No matter what, you really can't make people do anything. When you're left out of a social gathering. When people make decisions that you disagree with or take you further from each other. So many little daily things that happen that may seem puzzling or even hurtful. Here's what I've come to realize:

You can't make people spend time with you. You can't even make them want to. People are fickle and messy and unpredictable. You can't make people thoughtful or considerate. They are or they aren't, and this changes from one day to the next. Most people aren't sitting around thinking about how they can make me feel left out or unwanted. Most people are too self-centered to even have that thought. (Or maybe they do, but I've realized it's not productive for me to obsess over other people's hurtful actions.)

If you have someone who cares about you and thinks of you, cherish that in the moment it happens. Thoughtful moments are rare and to be treasured. If someone thinks of you repeatedly, that is truly special. Enjoy it. Relish it.

In the end it is all just data. I just know what I've learned from what I observe.

Everything and everyone is optional. Most people and things will eventually move on. When you change your circumstances, it's inevitable that things and people change. That probably sounds callous. Maybe it's the stoic reading I've done that makes it a little less personal.

Change doesn't make the people you've moved on from less important. Life takes us all kinds of places and there are only so many hours in a day, a month, a year, a lifetime. It just makes every present moment more special. Time and attention are finite resources for each of us. If we can't make anyone do anything, how are we spending those precious fleeting moments?