She did it! Sage is now Farm Dog Certified after passing two trials put on by an AKC club, earning her first Title! I'd like to claim this was the result of a lot of hard work but, honestly, we didn't spend a minute in practice. My 15 yr old son has done basic obedience with her and we have goats and chickens and live in a noisy house so she's pretty much ready to tackle all kinds of new things.

To earn this title she had to move through a series of obstacles and tasks a dog might encounter on a farm. It was everything from coping with loud noises to greeting strangers to moving through fences and over strange surfaces. The two areas we thought would be difficult for her (waiting patiently while her handler was out of sight for two minutes, and approaching livestock without fear or aggression) were easy as pie.

I hid behind some cars during both trials so I wouldn't be a distraction to the dog during the separation task. Some fellow competitors--who we just met but at these kinds of things you're instantly friends because you already have so much in common, plus people with working dogs are universally awesome--narrated for me how she was doing. She sat calmly, pricking her ears occasionally or wagging her tail slightly but never appeared panicked. I was so proud! This is the dog who hates to be left behind but, somehow, she is a true show dog and shines perfectly whenever we're at these kinds of events.

We thought she'd be too aggressive when approaching the livestock (ducks and sheep). At home she herds our chickens and goats relentlessly. But, I guess because she was on a leash and seemed to understand she needed to focus more on her handler than anything else, she was absolutely golden. My son said she casually poked her nose through the fence to check them out but then calmly returned to him when called. She is so smart and has such a great temperament.

At the end of the day the second judge spent a moment talking with us. She complimented my son on his handling and said she "just loved this dog," while petting Sage. She told me that she loves to mentor youth and she'd be happy to work with us if we'd like to have Sage attempt more working dog titles.

These kind of moments make me so proud as a parent. There is nothing better than when another adult praises your child. Which brings me to my second experience with this boy this week. On Thursday he and I went to his parent/teacher conferences. It was delightful (which isn't a phrase I've ever used about any P/T conference before). As a teacher I've held hundreds of these. As a parent I've sat through dozens.

These conferences were so unique. We moved our son to a private school this year due to the chaos at the public school during Covid and how that one crisis revealed a lack of good administration or decision-making in other areas as well. So, this was my first time talking to private school teachers who have SO much freedom to choose their curricula and pace of instruction. They were so enthusiastic! So much creativity and passion for their field on display. I felt inspired just listening to them. We already had good feelings about this school but these conferences sealed the deal for me.

My son is getting a high quality, classical education from just a few teachers in a plain little school built of cinder block with 70 kids in grades K-12. My son is having meaningful experiences, mentored by well-grounded, responsible adults at farms and fairgrounds around us for about $60 so long as I'm willing to stand in the mud and wait with him for his turn. Nothing fancy. But truly good in the tradition of seeking that which is good, that which is true, and that which is beautiful.

I'm grateful for these days; these experiences. He called grandma on the way home and told her all about it. Right now he's making a place in his room to display his new ribbons. I love that he loves these things. Good quality experiences we'll both treasure.