Photo by Iamngakan eka on Pexels.com

When I finished my first complete draft of The Twisted Circle: A Novel in 2016, the total word count of 92,602 had exceeded the desired 80,000 words that literary agents and publishers require for newbie authors. Subsequent revisions in tightening sentences and scenes did not achieve the magical number. In 2017, I took the undesirable and difficult step of removing a beloved minor character. This is known as 'killing your darlings.'

Over the years, the phrase 'to kill your darlings' has been attributed to many famous writers: Oscar Wilde, G.K. Chesterton, and William Faulkner. But many literary scholars credit British writer and University of Cambridge Professor Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch. In his 1916 book On the Art of Writing, he recommended writers to "murder your darlings."

After spending over a month researching details of her background, I killed off Sylvia Flores since her character played a negligible role in my story's main plot line. It hurt. This fictional character was my way of memorializing a Filipino woman whose tragic, premature death in Guyana's northwest rainforest region has stayed with me after all these years.

The real-life woman was the wife of the Filipino resident doctor in charge of the Mabaruma Hospital at the time I lived and worked in the region. Owing to the isolation of the region and lack of proper medical facilities, Guyanese doctors then and now avoid the post like a death trap for their medical career.

Read more of this post


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more
Comment        Like