The alarm system chimed Alexis's arrival before she could step through the threshold. She sat her purse and keys on the table as she took her shoes off. When she looked up, there was Brian. Alexis took a second to really look at him. His facial hair was peppered with grays she hadn't noticed before and his eyes looked tired as if he was up all night.

"Where have you been?" Brian questioned.

"I fell asleep in my car after my parents party." Alexis didn't mention Alexander or that she had breakfast with him. She wanted to keep her small piece of happiness to herself.

"You fell asleep," Brian repeatedly slowly. Alexis walked past him and went into the room. Brian followed her, clearly not done with the conversation. "You mean to tell me you slept in your car, all night long?"

"Yes, Brian," Alexis answered annoyed.

"Who is he?" He stepped closer but Alexis sat on the bed to take her socks off.

"Brian,"

"Don't Brian, me. I know you were with someone," He accused.

"You're not one to talk," Alexis stood up, "you think I don't know you've been going to see Lindsey still?"

"We're talking about you." Brian's jaw flexed.

"No, we're talking about your jealous tendencies when the only unfaithful one here is you." Alexis was mad. It wasn't just that he started an argument without saying hello. It was because he was ruining the first happy day she had in a while.

"He sure must be something. He managed to pull you out of your depression."

"It's more than I can say for you. Instead of comforting me, you were out with your whore," Alexis said before she felt a hot hand hit her in the face and fell to the floor.

Alexis sat on the carpet, wiping the blood from her nose. Bright red drops staining her beige carpet. Her mind was blank in shock.

Brian dropped to the floor and reached out for her. Alexis reflexively pulled away. Her whole body was shaking and she couldn't think straight.

"Alexis, I'm so sorry. I was just angry and reacted without thinking.

Alexis stood up, shakily and went into the bathroom. She cleaned off her face with cold water and stared at her reflection in the mirror.

When she was done Alexis went back into the bedroom. Her mind had finally cleared.

"What are you doing?" Brian asked, watching her as she pulled the suitcase from under the bed.

"I'm leaving," Alexis said calmly as she tossed her things inside the bag.

"Alexis, I'm sorry-"

"Don't touch me," Alexis replied pulling away when he reached out for her.

"Where are you going to go?"

"Don't worry about me. I'll figure it out." Alexis went to the bathroom to get her toiletries.

"Don't be dumb, Alexis. You have no job, and I own everything you have. You're not going anywhere." Brian's voice raised.

Alexis ignored him and rolled the suitcase out of the room. She was almost to the door when he caught the handle and stopped it.

"Let it go"

"You're not going anywhere."

"Yes, I am. You know I am so stupid to have believed that lie you told me that day. You didn't remember hitting me, huh? Blame it on the alcohol, right? I wonder what the excuse will be this time since you're sober." Alexis yanked the suitcase out of his hand and grabbed her keys.

Brian took a deep breath. "Alexis, please. Don't leave, I'm seriously sorry. I won't do it again, I promise. Don't you love me?"

"Of course I do. But that doesn't mean I have to put up with how you treat me."

Alexis opened the door but when she got on the other side, Brian yanked the bag and made her fall.

"You're not leaving," he said coldly. Gone was the soft manner he just begged with.  Alexis yanked on her bag trying to get it back. Brian pulled hard but Alexis let go, making him fall on his butt. Alexis used the opportunity to run to her car. She locked the doors and put it in reverse and zoomed out the driveway before he could make it to her.

Alexis hit the highway at top speed in fear that he would follow her. She didn't stop driving until she was far enough from her house and far enough from him.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more