Monday, December 13, 2021

Question for You: Focus Style

Hi read,

Happy Monday! Hope your week is off to a great start.

This morning I was listening to a podcast while running with my dog. (My favorite thing to do, even when it's dark and cold.) I had a massive ah-ha moment based on something the podcast guest mentioned.

He said that the human brain has trouble distinguishing between important tasks and unimportant ones. This person is a writer so his important task was writing and his unimportant task was picking up the dry cleaning. He said he had to be very intentional about focusing on the important and letting the unimportant go.

My mind was blown by this. See, I have always had the (questionably useful) ability to ignore day to day tasks in favor of school, research, and work. If you gave me a choice, I would never do a single chore.

We all know that stuff has to get done though. (Not going to lie, I wondered if this podcast guest's significant other sometimes wants to strangle him when he has more important things to do than pick up the dry cleaning.)

So here's my question for you: How do you operate when it comes to important vs unimportant items?

Type 1: I have a hard time getting chores done because I find them boring and unimportant. My house is a mess and I never have clean laundry. I let it all pile up because I'd much rather be working on my latest project or developing my career or spending time with my family.

Type 2: I have a hard time focusing on my goals and important tasks. I get distracted by household chores and little things. Then I find myself at the end of the day and wonder what I really accomplished! Working from home is especially difficult for me because all of the household tasks are RIGHT THERE.

Will you reply and tell me which type you are? From my readers' comments, I think we have a mix of both. This difference in outlook is HUGELY important in how you approach productivity and household systems so I would really like to hear from you.

Best,

Beth @ Parent Lightly



Unsubscribe | 113 Cherry St #92768, Seattle, WA 98104-2205

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealing the Limelight, Elections & Truth

Empiricism usurped in the 21st century by ideology as represented by the lamentable Kamala Harris Kamala - stealing limelight,...