Here's the thing. I don't think my family was ever aware really of monitoring your children's media. My grandfather was action and sci-fi since before I was born. Syfy channel helped shape a lot of me. For instance, the original It is probably why I hate and shudder at all clowns. Now my mom on the other hand had four stable channels: Bravo, HBO, TLC and BET. For those of you who don't know, BET stands for Black Entertainment Television. That's right. I grew up in a sheltered, purposefully unaware, considerably racist environment and yet I grew up on Black Television. Weird, I know. I never really learned till I was older how that didn't mean I was more culturally aware than my other sheltered peers. Television isn't a crash course of any culture. It is a mirror of humor and tragedies. But it was a mirror that I grew up viewing.

It has lead me to a life of watching a lot of Christian morality shows and Black comedies. A lot. Only Adam Sandler cut in time wise and that's the whole other Jewish and stupid comedy support system. There is one Black Comedy that I love. Sextuplets starring Marlon Wayans. It's not completely childhood old. It came out in 2019. However, I have always been a fan of the Wayans family. When I was a kid, I had this whole idea that there was a conspiracy to limit their comedic genius. Kid thoughts. Now that I'm older I do still feel that they should get more recognition and credit. They are a really funny family.

What I love about the movie Sextuplets is that it always felt like a decent balance of stupid humor and an actual story. I was only able to know about the movie because I already had a history of watching Black Comedies. Which is where I twitch a bit now. Because when I watch it with friends that haven't seen a lot of Black tv it becomes a critical debate on race theory or social justice. They argue what is appropriate humor and should stereotypes be made fun of. When I watch it with friends who have a history with Black tv it becomes a silly comedy movie. The movie that I loved to laugh with suddenly felt like it was pulling me in two different directions. Which is not a feeling a stupid comedy movie should create.

I watched it again this morning over breakfast for the first time in about a year. My family happened to walk in and see some of it. Since all the politics and events that have gone in the last few years they have gone from societally racist to people I struggle to stay in the same room with. When I see them laugh during the parts of the movie they've seen I feel uncomfortable. Why are they laughing at this stupid humor? Is it because of the stereotype? Is it because it is a funny movie? It took me out of the movie and back into my head. How it feels like no matter which side of the fence you sit on and with who there is always going to be this tiny voice in your head that reminds you you don't belong.

Which is funny considering the movie I was watching was about a man who always felt like he didn't belong completely because he didn't know his family. He found peace once he went through all those funny shenanigans and met them all. That isn't a thing in real life. Now this stupid comedy has become sad. This movie drawing me in to a cycle of feelings that didn't need to start in the first place. A cycle that wasn't supposed to be created by such a movie.

It's weird that even as someone who grew up on a lot of stupid comedy media that I still struggle to enjoy it as it is anymore...Like even I can't let go of my worries or thoughts enough to just laugh like I used to do. It's always so easy when you are a kid to have those separate moments and just enjoy the silly. I really want the next time I see Sextuplets that I just enjoy the silly. Marlon Wayans female switch is so much better than Madea.