What can I say.. it's been a week... I seem to be saying that a lot lately, and I wonder if we will get to the stage where I won't look back at the week and heave a big sigh...

The Good

On Tuesday I called our insurance company and told them that the plumber was not able to come and fix the pipes until Friday, and asked them what the go was with temporary accommodation.

When it broke the first time and DH put in the temporary fix, we still were able to have some water come through the pipes. This time neither DH or the plumber could fix it, so we had no water coming out of any of the taps inside... only one outside where we could haul some drinking water and water to pour into the toilet...

So we decided it was time to take up the temporary accommodation offer.

This is the first time we have ever tried to claim or do anything with insurance and they were quite good. We got permission for three nights accommodation in a two bedroom apartment in town ...

DS still had to go to uni, and DH to work, but it was nice to be able to have showers - and I caught up on all of our washing đŸ™‚

Yesterday the plumbers came and fixed everything up.... I can now put away the jerry cans in the kitchen, catch up on all the dishes, mop the floors.. and of course we can use the shower again!

Indoor plumbing really is amazing!

The Sad

On Thursday evening I got a call to tell me that my other mother, who was my aunt, had passed away peacefully in her sleep.

I last visited her in her home in Germany at the end of 2015.... and last saw her in Holland at the end of 2017. We had planned to make another trip to Germany at the beginning of 2020, but then the borders closed due to Covid.

I grew up in Indonesia, and went to an American School. In those days, it was only a primary school, and when we were 12, most of us went off to boarding school. I, however, went to live with my aunt and uncle in Holland. I became part of the family and lived with them for 5 years in Holland, and then 2 years in India.

Even after I left to go to Australia, my aunt and uncle were still second parents to me, and grandparents to my children.

I consider myself blessed to have had two mothers... and two fathers. But now I have lost one of them.

It was a sudden passing. She was not sick, we had no warning.. she was just gone.

For her it was the best way to go. She loved Jesus and knew where she was going. For us... well.. we are all still processing our loss.

I feel like it is made harder because I am not there - not in Germany to go to the funeral and be with the rest of the family. It just feels surreal.

The Rest

I got a few parcels in the mail while I was away - one was from Accuquilt with some new dies that I hope to use to make some H2H quilts with....haven't taken photos of them yet, will try to do that next week. The other had some rulers and a bit of fabric to make a new cover for my ironing board. Again, I will take photos and post next week.

Well that is more than enough for one post.... I've pulled out some albums and am looking at memories of times spent with my other mother.. I am thankful for each one of them.

Hold your dear ones tight and have a lovely weekend,