I'd seen this book floating around bookstores and intended to put it on my library list, but never seemed to do it, mostly because of the length of it. Riley Can't Stop Crying is a creative and tender story about family, gender identity, and emotions. It is told from the perspective of an older sister, struggling to understand why her little brother seems so upset all the time. She realizes after many chats, creative endeavors and adventures with Riley, that it is a frustration with feeling uncomfortable in his own skin that is hurting him.

I found the book very moving, although I admit I feel unsure what age group to recommend this to. Orca Books recommends ages 6-8, and it has a lot of text for a picture book. The main character is incredibly self-aware and questions things with such maturity, while spoken with an innocence. Her heart for Riley is just incredible - in fact, that sibling bond is really what had me tearing up, as she tries again and again to help her sibling feel comfortable as themself. That does really make it her story though--not Riley's--which I also have been thinking a lot.

The art in this book, by Agathe Bray-Bourret, is fun and cartoony and vivid.

Published by Orca Books 🇨🇦, and witten by Stéphanie Boulay. I borrowed this book from the public library.

What did you think?


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more