My 90-year old father-in-law and his two daughters
Dave's sisters, Liz, Mary Anne and their Dad
This weekend, we attended a very special celebration, the 90th birthday of my father-in-law, John Swinton.
 
I've blogged about John before. He is quite the character and comes with many self-anointed titles. Master Storyteller. Grand Champion of Cards. Number One Habs Fan. I've been blessed to spend a lot of time with John this past year, and have been the recipient of his many wisdoms (as he would tell you). Here are words to live by, courtesy of the big guy:
 
 On gender identity and gender neutral names
"You can call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner."
 
On entertaining a crowd
"Always tell your best joke first and get them laughing, then they'll be putty in your hands all night."
 
On women
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" (from one of his favourite characters, Red Green.)
 
On his hometown
"I was born in Harriston because I wanted to be close to my mother."
 
On marriage
"Marriage is a life sentence. If I had killed your mother by now, I'd be out on parole."
 
And if you're slow getting the teapot on the table after dinner,
"After 35 years, you'd think a man could get a cup of tea!"
 
All kidding aside, we love you John and hope you enjoy many more celebrations to come.

On life
God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

90 birthday cake
Old photos
90 years of memories and accomplishments

This free site is ad-supported. Learn more