I am so frustrated, y'all. Two weeks ago I went to get an ECT treatment because I could feel depression trying to set in, so we drove two hours to San Antonio, and I actually had a very nice treatment, I didn't get too upset, and I felt calm before going under anesthesia.

But now, I feel worse than I did before getting the ECT. I hate that. It doesn't happen all the time, but there has been at least one other treatment that made me feel worse afterward. And at the risk of sounding like a child, it's not fair!

I hate getting ECTs, but the whole experience was so nice this past time. So why do I feel worse? My fuse is so short, I'm very irritable, doing even small things takes a lot of effort, and I just want to binge every meal. I'm worked hard to lose 19 pounds, and I'd hate, hate, hate it to go backwards. I've made strides in my recovery from binge eating, and I'm just so scared I'm going to lose my momentum and progress that I've made. And I don't want to be the mom that yells and has a short fuse. That's no fun for anyone.

The only thing I can think to do is just get another ECT. Only I can't next week because I have the Suicide Prevention Symposium and I'm the main speaker on Thursday night. I guess I could go that Friday, and it'd be OK.

I wonder if other ECT patients notice such huge differences between treatments or if this is just me because my brain is special. I'm getting tired of having a special brain. It should be studied after I die for sure. I went a whole four months without needing a treatment, so it's bothers me A LOT that now I can't even go three weeks.

Now, I don't want to dissuade anyone from getting ECTs. They are life changing, and I'll never regret getting them, even the ones that seemed to make me worse. They have made my life so much better — I'm light years away from where I was after I was hospitalized at Menninger. So if you have treatment-resistant depression and no other therapies have seemed to work, I'd highly recommend trying ECT. It has the highest success rate when compared to other therapies and is not as scary as I sometimes (by accident) make it sound.

That being said, I'm going to schedule another one and show myself some compassion. I'll treat myself with kid gloves and do what I need to do to take care of me and my family until I can get back on that table. Because that's the ultimate goal right — to be the best version of myself. And I'll keep going until I get there.

That's the version of Heather I want to experience, one that doesn't give up and does anything and everything for herself and her family.

Maybe the last ECT wasn't so bad after all. But I want better for myself, and that's OK. After the past four months, I've seen my potential and all I was able to accomplish, so I know it's in there. I guess I just have to try harder to shake it loose.

Here's to good seizures and strong medication.

To learn more about ECT treatments for depression (or other mental condition) go to the Mayo Clinic here or feel free to email me at heatherannloeb@gmail.com